Wendler Cycle

Options
2»

Replies

• Curlychip
    Curlychip Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    This cycling seems good. I wonder if I could apply it to other areas of life...eg exam prep, sorting the house? Probably not work or toddler care!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Wendler on my strict press once per week but we push press in CF regularly and I go to an oly class once per week and do some type of jerk variation. So I feel like I'm getting more volume and a little more diversity in overhead work. I don't really program the other things progressively myself (push press, jerks, HSPU's) because they sort of get thrown at me via CF and my barbell class. To give you an example, in November or December 2013, I was PUSH PRESSING 100#. I started doing strict press work on my own after that and now I am strict pressing 125. My understanding is that if you were efficient, you might be able to push press 30% more than your strict press. I'm not there with the efficiency and rack position to get that kind of translation to push press. However, it's super slow going to move the strict press up. Myself, with this one, I'd use incremental plates whenever they were available and/or maybe throw on an extra set or reps at the top end of my 3rd (95%) week after I burned out at my max rep set. I'm at the point now where I have to overload this lift to see progress.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Okay Wolf, how’s it going?
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Pretty good. Last heavy day today, then a deload next week. We are going to do 3 cycles.
  • AllanMisner
    Options
    Good to hear.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Missed squats Monday because of the storm. Doing Bench and DL today, I might tack on Squats afterwards.
  • AllanMisner
    Options
    Beast!
  • AllanMisner
    Options
    I bought his 5-3-1 book and have been going through it. How is your program going?
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Pretty good, and I haven't been super strict following it. For the next six months my bigger focus is going to be on fat loss but it was good to do a mini-bulking cycle before hand.