Aside from pounds lost, what changes do you see?

Options
Hi Everyone,
I see a number of comments from members feeling a bit demotivated because their efforts aren't reflected on the scale this week. We all know in our heads that the scale is not the only measure but sometimes we need to be reminded of this. So let's hear from everyone on the positive changes they ARE seeing - regardless of what the scale is showing.

I'll start:
- As of today, I've lost 40 lbs and virtually all of the clothes in my closet no longer fit. There are items in my closet that I was waiting to get into - and I've completely missed them - they're now too big. I'm heading out this week to buy a couple of pairs of pants where I won't have to roll up the waistband in order to keep them up. What a nice problem to have!!
- People have really started to notice. Sadly, when you have a lot of weight to lose, you have to lose a lot before people do notice. But I am now starting to get lots of compliments. One person even told me to be careful not to lose too much (I'm clearly not in any immediate danger of that happening but it's nice to hear :) ).
- My energy levels are sooo much higher than even a few months ago.
- I no longer have ANY joint pain.
- My attitude is far more positive. Even though I'm still a long way from my goal weight, the fact that I am addressing the problem has given me peace of mind - I have taken control of the situation, I am making changes I can live with in the long term, and I can see the path to success. Before, I was in a bit of a rut with regard to making other plans in my life - I always felt like my weight problem needed to be addressed first. Now, I can see my way clear to envisioning what else I want to accomplish in my life.

Let's hear from some others...

Replies

• h3ll3tt
    h3ll3tt Posts: 28
    Options
    I had a few no scale victories yesterday!

1. My pants are too big. Like falling down when I walk too big.
    2. My new pants (a size smaller) I bought two weeks ago are also now too big.
    3. My sister told me my clothes looked way too big on me (my sister is the teeny thin one in my family).
    4. I was able to fit in a shirt that I haven't worn in two years!
    5. I took my measurements again yesterday and I have lost inches virtually everywhere.

I had a scale victory yesterday as well, so I'm feeling pretty good today!
  • Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I was able to put on a suit I haven't felt comfortable in for more than a year and I am starting to like what I see in the mirror!
  • Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Just re-read both of yours - congratulations!! :D

I have also noticed that I have a better attitude. I struggle with depression and have a much harder time keeping my attitude in check when I don't feel good about myself.
  • kayjosh2422
    kayjosh2422 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I cleaned out my closet and have very little to wear. I also had new items with tags I was in hopes of someday getting into and they were to donation because they were all too big. The best thing is yesterday I went to the doctor and he took me off one of my blood pressure meds and halved the dose of the other one. He is starting to step me down off of the meds all together since the weight has come off, I am healthy! I too have had friends who say, don't drop anymore but there is plenty to still drop. One negative thing about dropping the weight is my knees are bony and I have to have a pillow between them when I sleep. lol But I'll take that.
  • smendoza929
    smendoza929 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Clothes are definitely better. I'll take it!
  • GrammyPeachy
    GrammyPeachy Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Last night the pants and shoes I wore were both way to big, (falling off big). They both fit nicely last time I wore them.
    I'm sorry to see the shoes go, the pants I'll try to take in.
  • LeelooX2014
    LeelooX2014 Posts: 157 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I started my new weight loss journey in October. I really haven't lost hardly a thing and scale-wise and this would be hugely disappointing. On top of that, I got a new digital scale and realized I was five lbs heavier than I thought! I took measurements in October and again at the end of December. If I hadn't done that I never would have realized the progress I was making. I had lost inches all over. I also did find that a few of the pants I had that were about to go to the bottom of my choices were comfortable again. Nothing in the world makes me more CRABBY than being stuffed like a sausage into a pair of pants all day! So take your measurements and you might be pleasantly surprised when that evil scale won't move.
  • wannabetrim2
    wannabetrim2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My tummy looks flatter :)
  • shooting_star27
    shooting_star27 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My jeans are much looser, and I can fit into a large shirt comfortably now. My friends and family have said I look slimmer, especially in the face. I can tell my face has changed too, since I track with photos also. My cheeks are less full and my chin is more defined. My arms and legs look a lot more muscular too. Training is coming much easier these days. Even feeling a bit more confident and show-offy. :)
  • GirlGarfield
    GirlGarfield Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I noticed today my double chin has almost gone!! And clothes are looser. People are commenting on it also which is really encouraging
    :-)
  • walking_woman
    walking_woman Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I am actually moving more. I was walking minimum 3 times a day. Then my dog died and I went into a spiral downwards. I am finally just going out for a walk again. This will continue :)
  • AmandaStrickland1
    AmandaStrickland1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am actually moving more. I was walking minimum 3 times a day. Then my dog died and I went into a spiral downwards. I am finally just going out for a walk again. This will continue :)

I'm so sorry for you loss. It's definitely normal to have setbacks when something like this happens. Hang in there! Just keep moving... You're doing great :-)
  • AmandaStrickland1
    AmandaStrickland1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have noticed I have more energy overall. My mood is balanced, and I can feel my mid section getting smaller (it's my most stubborn area). Im getting back to that excited to workout mind set. And I love that feeling.
  • CheekyWu
    CheekyWu Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    So although im bummed because i gained 1lb this week. I feel awesome! Certain areas of my body are looking more defined and i genuinely feel lil more confident!!!xxx
  • walking_woman
    walking_woman Posts: 127 Member
    Options
  • Emi1974
    Emi1974 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    very early days yet,but putting shoes on seems to be easier now and walking too. Also, when I started out doing Leslie Sanson 3 mile workout, I felt like dying, now I can keep up.
    Still don't fit in my size 20 jeans, that is my first goal. When I bought it to replace the same brand size 20 jeans, wore it maybe twice, washed it and that was it. They shrunk a bit and I could no longer fit in them.
    For years now I have worn pants to work that have lycra in them and stretch. I hope one day I don't actually need lycra in my life :smiley:
  • I_can_do_this2
    I_can_do_this2 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I just love reading all of your comments - they give me such inspiration.
    -
    Zx14Chick - I know exactly what you mean. Attitude is everything and when you're head's not right, nothing is. It's the chicken and the egg dilemma.

I particularly love Cherirana's comment that her shoes no longer fit - that's so funny - you know you're making progress when your shoes don't fit :D .

I'm very envious of Kayjosh and having your medication reduced - wow, that's huge. I'm also on BP medication - not a high dosage - but I would dearly love to not need it any longer.

Walking_Woman - I'm so sorry about your dog. I've been there - it's like losing a family member. I'm glad to hear you're bouncing back and getting back to your walking.

Leeloo2014 - Don't worry about the scale thing. I have 4 different scales in my life (home, cottage, gym & TOPS) and they give 4 different readings. The key is the CHANGE in the scale. The change on each scale is more or less the same each week. I know it's a rude awakening when you think you weigh a certain amount (and need to lose weight) only to find that you actually need to lose 5 additional pounds. Again, try not to focus too too much on a number (I know - good advice from someone who uses 4 scales - the irony is not lost on me :D ).

• LeelooX2014
    LeelooX2014 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm hanging in there. For me, I can go weeks of behaving and nothing, then I'll have a big drop. I just have to stay consistent. I'm trying not to let the evil scale bug me.
  • izu87
    izu87 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest changes I'm seeing is in my mentality and attitude towards... well... everything. I am getting better at handling my anxiety. I'm no longer fearing binges. I seek to get out on walks. I'm loving working out. I no longer use being late or having had a long tiring day as an excuse to stuff myself with junk and laze around. I'm not getting disappointed whenever I see a plus on the scale, because this time around I'm ready to wait and work for years to see final results. No longer expecting to miracle drops. It's just... this time is very different. Maybe I've grown... :D
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    within like three days of eating paleo at about 1400 cals, my stomach FLATTENED and pants were looser. Obviously that is mostly bloat but it feels wonderful! I'm down 4 lbs in the challenge so far! On pace to be really close to 20 down by easter!!