Runners are canibalizing :/

Options
Really? Started the New Year with a personal trainer. I want to be stronger and slow down the age stuff after 50yrs. I like 10k runs. Weights not so much. So first time in a gym since 1999 and the new educated trainers look at runners as ruining their bodies. I think I should have stay a road runner. Not feeling the new training as a gain.

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights has helped make me a stronger and faster runner, less prone to injury.

Beyond that, I'm not really sure what you're saying as it comes across as jumbled thoughts to me...
  • AnnicaJohansson
    AnnicaJohansson Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    603reader wrote: »
    Lifting weights has helped make me a stronger and faster runner, less prone to injury.

Same here. Last year I skipped some of my weight lifting routine (it being exceptionally boring) and got injured. I specifically blame my lack of weight lifting, because I had been stronger IF I had stuck to my routines. I wouldn't have overexerted my calves had I been stronger.

I'm not doing the same mistake twice though. Boring or not, I'm going to lift and I'm going to lift a lot and heavy. Because I love to run. Finally weight lifting makes sense to me :smile:
  • suetorrence
    suetorrence Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    If I am understanding the original statement, she is saying that the personal trainer she worked with at the gym was not encouraging of her being a runner??? If so, I have experienced a similar situation. Some trainers concentrate on strengthening and body building - but ignore the running side. I need the strengthening sessions as I feel it helps with my running. However, I have found a trainer who is also a runner.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    If I am understanding the original statement, she is saying that the personal trainer she worked with at the gym was not encouraging of her being a runner??? If so, I have experienced a similar situation. Some trainers concentrate on strengthening and body building - but ignore the running side. I need the strengthening sessions as I feel it helps with my running. However, I have found a trainer who is also a runner.

A lot of people don't encourage running.
    My coworkers do the PanMass Challenge and think I'm nuts when I say I'd rather run than bike, tell me I'm destroying my knees.
    I've had a doctor tell me that my Avon Walks are excessive (39.3mi of walking, if that's excessive to him, I wonder what he'd say to the ultra runners here...)

I did read a very douche-ily written article a few months back where the trainer said you MUST run. I find that to be just as obnoxious as someone telling me that I'm destroying my knees by running
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    In my experience my trainer developed a weight lifting plan that would help my running. I told her a very lofty goal at my first session and she told me right away that she would help me achieve it and made a plan accordingly. She actually encourages running. She will ask me miles, pace and how I felt during long training runs and then assist me where needed.

*She also likes running so maybe that helps!
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Yes. Find a different trainer. A good running coach will be capable of giving you a complementary lifting plan.

Personally I love lifting and the only problem I have is finding time to fit it all in, but just a short amount of time each week can be very effective.
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I've had a doctor tell me that my Avon Walks are excessive (39.3mi of walking, if that's excessive to him, I wonder what he'd say to the ultra runners here...)

He'd probably look at me like I'd grown two heads which is why I only go to doctors who are endurance athletes themselves.

To the OP, if a trainer doesn't take your personal goals into account get another trainer.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    jturnerx wrote: »

He'd probably look at me like I'd grown two heads which is why I only go to doctors who are endurance athletes themselves.

To the OP, if a trainer doesn't take your personal goals into account get another trainer.

Probably.
    Guy was beyond useless. Told me to do "thigh strengthening exercises" but not squats and gave no other help. Told me to google it.
    Worked at the Yale Ortho Center.
    Found a new doc, then an amazing PT.

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    There is a philosophy (especially in the body building world) that you cannot train for running and body build at the same time. it's one or the other. What it sounds like to me is that the OP found a PT that is of this BB world. The PT was hired for strength training and sounds like that is all they know. Thus why the hate against running.

Sounds like to me that the OP is more interested in strength training for running purposes and NOT for body building. In this case you need a running coach or a PT that specializes in running to give you a good strength training plan for running.
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I've had better luck hiring a running coach. I can do all the other stuff myself. Running is my fitness focus, so I prioritize that. However, since my running coach is also a trainer she can give cross training advice that is specifically useful to runners.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Rather than do specific "strength training" workouts in the weight room I do a couple of body weight/light hand weight fitness classes a week. I think it gives me enough full body conditioning to avoid injury without worrying about gaining muscle that could slow me down.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    There is a philosophy (especially in the body building world) that you cannot train for running and body build at the same time. it's one or the other. What it sounds like to me is that the OP found a PT that is of this BB world. The PT was hired for strength training and sounds like that is all they know. Thus why the hate against running.

Sounds like to me that the OP is more interested in strength training for running purposes and NOT for body building. In this case you need a running coach or a PT that specializes in running to give you a good strength training plan for running.

Yes. This is his value BB not running. Thanks for the response. I will look for a new fitness trainer.
  • alcarrick
    alcarrick Posts: 11 Member
    Options

A lot of people don't encourage running.
    My coworkers do the PanMass Challenge and think I'm nuts when I say I'd rather run than bike, tell me I'm destroying my knees.

I did read a very douche-ily written article a few months back where the trainer said you MUST run. I find that to be just as obnoxious as someone telling me that I'm destroying my knees by running

• alcarrick
    Options
    Agree 603reader - not everyone is destroying their knees running - everyone has diff body mechanics & build. Biking works the hell out of my thighs and I can also feel knees and back if I solely road bike - it's all about balancing with some weights and strength - which again. Depends on your build & where you lose strength, gain muscle , or typically kiss muscle !
  • alcarrick
    Options
    alcarrick wrote: »
    Agree 603reader - not everyone is destroying their knees running - everyone has diff body mechanics & build. Biking works the hell out of my thighs and I can also feel knees and back if I solely road bike - it's all about balancing with some weights and strength - which again. Depends on your build & where you lose strength, gain muscle , or typically lose muscle !

• Abakan
    Abakan Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    This time last year my knees where giving me hell so I got myself a personal trainer and he said no problem we'll work on building all the muscles in my legs especially the ones around my knees and it's worked .I no longer suffer knee pain I've just had a week skiing holiday which should have killed my knees but I was fine. Our training sessions are all done in the open air and with body weight training only and running more trail and less road has help too.
  • mamarundrc
    mamarundrc Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    I agree with the idea of find a new trainer. I met a trainer who I have been working with who is not a runner. She appreciates the fact that I like to run and is helping me strengthen my body in ways that support running. With her helps I have had less issues with my hips and my overall leg endurance. I am also gaining a stronger core and learning how to listen to my body and stretch more effectively for my activity levels. Don't give up on weights and strength, just find a new trainer who is more in tune with who you are and what you need.
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I agree with finding a new trainer. Regardless of what type of exercise they like to do personally, their goal for you should be your goal for you. A good PT takes your goals into account and forms a training program to supplement and enhance. If you had gone up to them and said you were a triathlete, they would adjust your strength goals accordingly (if they are a good trainer).
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

I agree!