New to the Group

Options
Hi I am Amber and I am a 39 yr old mother of 3. I have RA, Fibro, Bursitis in both hips, severe food allergies and migraines. I need to lose some weight to help my body out a little. I am dealing with the emotional issues inherent to a dx of chronic illness, just had to quit my Job I love because I can't physically do it anymore, and I need a buddy to get started with this. I am a Garmin Connect user AmbyD and I am just looking to try to get healthier and be reminded not to over do it. I'm a former runner, I played sports and was on Dance team in highschool so I have a really hard time staying with in my doctors box of what I can do now. My box includes no impact walking and water aerobics or swimming. The occasional ride on the recumbent bike is ok but I am not supposed to ride my beach cruiser anymore and heels are a no no. I have lots of cute heels.....
Anyway, if anyone wants to be my buddy, I am an awesome motivator for everyone but myself lol and I love working with challenges and goals. Right now my first short term goal is to lose 7 lbs to hit 200. From there I will set a new goal.

Replies

• Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm sorry to hear about your struggles.
  • vickeymaddrell
    vickeymaddrell Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm also new as of this month. I'm Vickey, I'm 34 and live with my husband and cat. I have RA and Sjorgren's. I have problems with dairy and minor gluten intolerance. I have real trouble getting motivated with diet but exercise as much as I'm able. I am trying to get off Prednisilone but I've just failed another DMARD and am waiting to go back to the hospital to go on biologics. I can exercise at the gym for 30-60 minutes without major fatigue when we'll but swim when I'm unwell. I used to hike, cycle and do killer workouts. My husband runs marathons which I'm really proud of but sometimes gets me down. I gave all my heels to the charity shop 3 years ago, I mostly wear workout trainers now. I would like to lose 3 stone which I believe is about 45 lbs. I could do with a buddy too.
  • Maitria
    Options
    Hi Vicky-I've also "probably" got RA and Sjogren's but I'm much more at the beginning of things than it sounds like you are.
  • vickeymaddrell
    Options
    Yeah, I've been on this wagon for 6 years now. Just starting to get to grips with medication and my limits. Feeling positive right now about weight loss. How about yourself?
  • Maitria
    Options
    Weight is ok, though I'd still like to lose a few. It's all been taking a long time to actually get treatment. I might get something next week. I'm in a pretty down in the dumps stage about it all right now.
  • vickeymaddrell
    Options
    It can be really difficult. This time of the year for lots of us is cold and dark and this affects mood and motivation to diet. Our ancestors used to store fat at this time of the year and become leaner in the spring based on food availability. You could stick with trying to maintain weight right now. I'm sure you will feel more motivated to lose weight in the spring. Also getting treatment can take ages, my inflamation levels were an ESR of 47 when I first got treatment but they'd made me wait 6 months first. Eating low fat is really beneficial for joints. I feel my worst if I eat a lot of fat the night before. My ESR is much lower when I'm eating low fat.
  • Maitria
    Options
    I got prescribed Sulfasalazine. It's a start. My BMI is around 22 I think, so as long as I don't gain too much, it should be ok.
  • vickeymaddrell
    Options
    22 is a great BMI, you should be proud. Mine is around 30, ouch. I started on Sulfasalazine. It worked for a while to some extent. I hope it works well for you.
  • ellzx
    ellzx Posts: 4 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hi Amber,
    I suffer with fibro and chronic fatigue. I was at the point of almost having to give up work again a few months back. But im glad to say i have/am recovering.
    Pacing is hard its a constant battle! as is trying to lose weight. I have managed to lose weight using Graduated exercise therapy and calorie counting and reducing my intake and junk!
    Im a nurse by profession which helps a bit i guess!
    Ild love to support you and cheer you on xx