Steroid Question....

Options
suzy0317
suzy0317 Posts: 67 Member
I recently had a major flare up (98% intestinal blockage) and I recently stopped taking the steroids. While I was taking them, I couldn't sleep for more than 4 hours. Now, I'm exhausted! I can barely keep my eyes open past 8 pm and getting up for work is a challenge. My first dosage of Cimzia was on Monday. I'm not sure if the exhaustion is a result of the steroids or if the Cimiza needs time to perk me up.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• duckykissy
    duckykissy Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I can't answer your question, but I know that many pharmacies have help lines and/or are very willing and knowledgeable enough about the specific drugs to answer those kinds of questions.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I couldn't sleep properly on steroids either, though this is better now that I'm down to 10mg. I don't think I found myself to be particularly sleepy when I came off them briefly in December though I was more worried about my platelets dropping, which they did. When I had rituximab it made me very sleepy, though.
  • af_wife2004
    af_wife2004 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I've been off and on steroids for 13 years and never had that problem. I also take Humira which is similar to Cimzia. I had to overlap my meds for about 6 weeks before they started reducing all the other medications, but the Humira never made me sleepy. Perhaps since you were having such an issue sleeping before your body is just wiped out and needs a week or two to recover. Read this article if you haven't already http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory/ Perhaps you've use to many spoons for too long. I have had a couple medications that have made me so sleepy I couldn't function for 18+ hours. If you think that is the case, talk to you doc ASAP! If you have spouse/kids, ask him to help with the kids and chores more for a week or two and listen to your body. Go to bed at 7pm and get some good sleep so you can wake in the morning. Good luck!