Fund Racing??

mom2tripsn2
mom2tripsn2 Posts: 64 Member
Anyone ever do this? I like the idea of earning money for a cause and having the race fees go to more than just bibs, shirts and medals (not that I don't like that stuff too, cuz I do :smiley: ) But I don't know...

This is going to sound awful but....did you have to be part of a "team" on race day? (ie wear a team shirt, take team pictures, etc, etc)... One of the things I love about running is that there is comradarie between runners, but when I am running, it is all about ME...I don't really want to be in a group, I like the ability to find solitude and sort of be in my own zone when i want to be....Yes, I am a horrible, selfish human being :wink:

There is a Half I am doing in March that offers the opportunity to fund race for a cause I believe in...just wondering what the general opinion is on this type of race entry....

Thoughts?

Replies

• ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Not sure exactly what you mean. I've never done any of the really big fundraising team training and racing or any races that have a fund raising minimum. But I have done races in which I've collected donations for the charity. There's a 5k every December that is a special olympics fundraiser. There have been years I've just signed up and ran, but in other year's I've done fundraising. There are many people there as part of teams, many individual fundraisers, and many who are just running. I think if you have the opportunity to raise money for something you believe in while doing something you enjoy, why not.
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    I did fund raising for St. Jude for the Memphis Marathon. In return for raising $1,000 I got extra perks, a reduced admin fee ($50, normal price for the marathon is $150), free parking, free admission to the pasta party, etc... In return I helped raise money for some sick kids, and I also was part of a fund raising team that ended up being the top corporate team for 2014. Race day, yes it should be all about you...so it really depends on what you mean by "team".
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Personally I'm bit uncomfortable about fundraising. In part because throughout my working life there seems to be a non stop stream of fundraising going on at work from February through to October/ November. It goes from Race for Life 5K up to the annual London Marathon stuff, and that turns into half a dozen people asking for sponsorship.

As a result I'm rather reluctant to add to that, although by preference I support the Royal British Legion and Combat Stress, the Veterans Mental Welfare Charity.

What I'm finding myself frustrated by at the moment is a number of fundraising only races, which essentially precludes entry unless I consider it as a 500 pound fee.

That said, several local races are fundraisers, where a proportion of the entry fee goes to local schools, hospice or other charities.
  • Abakan
    Abakan Posts: 361 Member
    I hate asking people to sponsor me and would rather just give the charity some of my own money. I like it when part or all of the entry fee goes to charity.
  • Huppdiwupp
    Huppdiwupp Posts: 50 Member
    I wouldn't ask people for sponsorship myself, and I don't like to sponsor people who run regularly, but simply use a charity place as a way to gain entry into a big race, such as the London Marathon (and where, in many cases, part of my sponsorship actually goes to the race organisers or services for the runner, rather than the charity).

However, I do sponsor people for whom the event is a real challenge, or who have a real personal connection, e.g. a colleague who trains for her first marathon, raising money for the hospice that treated her father who was a lifetime runner. It depends very much on the circumstances.
  • nicolejo143
    nicolejo143 Posts: 214 Member
    I am doing the Susan G. Komen - Race For The Cure 5k next month. My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer less than 2 years ago and I really wanted to do a race for my mom that supports women with breast cancer and this seemed like the perfect one! It will also be my first 5k race of the year. My mom will be out there too, but she will be walking not running. I just gently encouraged all my friends to join me in the race or make a small donation. Fundraising isn't necessary but because I feel very passionate about this cause I decided to try asking for donations. This is the first time I tried to fundraise for a cause. I don't know if I'll actually raise any money but at least I can say that I tried and I participated which is the main thing.
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    edited March 2015
    I did it for my first Half Marathon, and I am doing it now for my first Marathon. I think I will just do it for my first's :)

With my Half Marathon, which was last year, I fundraised for the charity that does all of the volunteering for the actual event, handing out your drinks at the stations, race packs, everything. (A local school for kids with Cerebral Palsy)
    I found it a really fun experience, and I met some great people, including some of the kids who go to the school, staff, volunteers, other runners, and I ran with a Olympian Gold Medalist -The charity organised it for all of the runners who were fundraising for them, to say thank you, and it was a really nice experience.

I raised $300+ which, as a poor student, was more than I could have donated on my own. I set up a donation page online from the race website, and made some of my own coin tins with facts and information about the school and about Cerebral Palsy, so I asked people in my own social networks, on Facebook etc, and in person as well.
    No, I did not have to run in a group on the day, but before the event, I once met up and trained with the other fundraisers and some of the children from the school, plus the organisation/charity staff and they gave us all a shirt to wear in the race, and we met an Olympian and got to run with him, as I said before.
    When I saw other people wearing the same shirt in the race, and the volunteers and kids from the school who I'd met, it was nice. We were all on our own, but at the very end of the race, last few kms, another woman in the same shirt (I had just met her the once) was encouraging me and offering support, we finished together, and lots of people cheered for us. All in all it was a worthwhile experience, and so this year I am back, and fundraising for Beyond Blue with my Marathon.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    I am a "soulmate" for Girls on the Run, which means I am raising funds for their non-profit in conjuction with a specific race that I am doing. I got to pick the race and I set up a fundraising page online. We had the option to fundraise for our race entry also, but I paid for mine, so all of my fundraising went straight to the organization. We actually have a team of soulmates for the Ragnar Trail Relay in Atlanta on April 10th/11th. It's been a fun experience so far and I can't wait to get out there and run the trails for these girls!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    I like that this tread popped back up! I missed it the first time around.

As of right now, I'm very iffy on the fund raising thing. At this point in my life -- early 20s, graduate student, etc. -- I don't know many people who could donate much and most of my family members are not well off financially. Given that most fundraising "teams" require you to fundraise a certain amount (and you're often on the hook if there's a gap), it's not something I've been very interested in. However, when I finally have friends who make real money and have real jobs... then it might be a different story :) I'd love to support a charity, but I right now I'd be more likely to volunteer my time than my (or others') money.