Progress photos - how often?

Options
_L_A_
_L_A_ Posts: 170 Member
I'm only just starting out, I've taken my starting photos and was just wondering when I should be putting my next ones to take into my diary?

Do you take photos once a month, every other month, less frequently than that?

I know there's no point taking photos every week or more often than once a month, but is even once a month too often to see a difference?

What did everyone else decide on? How long was it before you could see a noticeable difference in photos? (I appreciate that differing activity, calorie intake, macros, starting weight and body comp will all mean people notice at different time points, just wondering about other people's experiences!)

Replies

• threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I take mine every 5lbs, personally.
    I notice the difference more when I compare larger time gaps, naturally. But sometimes I can see an appreciable difference in 5lbs.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I took them periodically last year, but am planning on taking them once a month this year. Just easier for me to get into a routine, and I think I'll appreciate having them down the line.

I'm not really seeing much by way of changes yet, even though I've lost about 18.5 lbs. Drives me crazy, but I know it will come. Posting just so that if you have a similar experience, you'll know you're not alone. :)
  • _L_A_
    _L_A_ Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    threnjen wrote: »
    I take mine every 5lbs, personally.
    I notice the difference more when I compare larger time gaps, naturally. But sometimes I can see an appreciable difference in 5lbs.

That's a different way to do it that I hadn't considered :) I'm losing aiming for weight loss of a lb a week for the next few weeks, but then going to slow it right so I might end up taking photos very rarely if I did that!
    crabada wrote: »
    I took them periodically last year, but am planning on taking them once a month this year. Just easier for me to get into a routine, and I think I'll appreciate having them down the line.

I'm not really seeing much by way of changes yet, even though I've lost about 18.5 lbs. Drives me crazy, but I know it will come. Posting just so that if you have a similar experience, you'll know you're not alone. :)

It'll be interesting to see if there are differences in just one month time periods! I am dubious that I'll have difference, but maybe I should just try for the first 3 months just out of interest, and then I can drop it down to two monthly?

I took progress photos last year periodically and think I should have a regular schedule to take them or I forget to take them or take them too often!

I'm measuring inches on the same date of every month to track them :)

I'm excited to have started this again (I did about 5 weeks last year, before getting ill as a result of exercise combined with a medical condition, so had to lay off exercising for a while and although I got back into running soon after my wedding, I only just got back into lifting!), I am not having high hopes for seeing a difference for a couple of months though, hopefully I'll start feeling stronger soon though!