Logging workouts with Surge?

Options
akrnrunner
akrnrunner Posts: 117 Member
hey, I just got my new surge and am in love! However, I know previously you were supposed to log workouts with mfp with specific times you did them so it could work it out with fitbit and adjust. Previously, I never marked things such as weightlifting with my fitbit, just noted start and stop times. Now, since the surge can monitor hr during lifting sessions, hiking, elliptical etc and automatically tracks them and uploads the info to the app is it necessary to enter them again in mfp? Or do I just go with the fitbit adjustment? Hope this wasn't too confusing! Thanks for any input!

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    The formula used for calorie burn based on HR is only valid for aerobic steady-state HR.

Lifting if done right is neither aerobic, and even if done wrong is not steady-state.

It should still be manually logged, as those entries are based on studies actually measuring calorie burn.

Now, you may luck out and the calculation per HR is coincidentally close to the database entry anyway.
    But as you get stronger and lift more, that will change.

You can manually log in MFP or Fitbit, both use the same database entry. Fitbit used to have two levels, but they dropped one.
    Strength Training on MFP, and Weights on Fitbit.
    Those entries are for the lifting with reps 5-15, with sets and rests of 1-3 min, heavy for you.
    If doing more reps with rests 1 min or less, but still heavy for that time, that is circuit training entry. Still not valid for HRM because HR up and down constantly.
    If even more reps and less rest, which requires maybe just bodyweight, then calisthenics is entry, but at that point I'd just go for the Fitbit HRM estimate, close enough.