600 calorie day - food prep tips and tricks???

Options
mfpdevotee
mfpdevotee Posts: 48
edited January 2015 in Social Groups
So now that I am 1 month out from surgery, I'm on a 600 calorie (2 oz protein 3x a day and a protein shake) plan...Anybody else on this type of plan? Wondering how you are prepping food? Sounds simple, but here is my issue. It's kind of embarrassing.. but here goes:

I feel "safe" when I have food that is already measured out in a single serve container.. where i know i can't mess up or be tempted to eat more!!!

I spent the afternoon yesterday prepping meat and chicken to put them in 2 oz portions, for the freezer and some for the fridge, but I was wondering what other people were doing at this stage..It was a bit torturous to prep and not nibble or pop an extra morsel into my mouth!!!
(I don't know how the vsg folks that also have to prep meals for your family do it!!!)

I almost do not want to parce out the food into portions to avoid the temptation.. not to mention I'd prefer everything vacuum packed instead of the way I did it in sandwich bags!! It will probably be gross by the time I get to it!!!

I've seen the P3 packs and I found a chicken salad at costco in 4oz containers.....Anybody else have any other healthy, pre-packaged, small portion protein ideas???

Would love to hear more about your food prep and if there are any other pre-packaged foods in small portions that may be out there!!!

Thanks for listening! I'm off for a long walk....!

Replies

• Patty2point0
    Patty2point0 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Well you hit 2 of my faves for the early stage: p3 and chicken salad cups... What about frozen turkey meatballs. You could put them in separate containers perhaps with a spoonful of marinara? Of course there are also individual cheese sticks. There are some ore packed mini turkey bites I bought but they were horrid. How about the individual tuna pouches...
  • mfpdevotee
    Options
    thanks patty! lol.. I've been looking!!! i love the meatball idea!! and i even have the mozzarella sticks also.... i haven't had tuna yet..and it sounds like the turkey bites were gross! lol... Thanks so much!
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing at your stage and I still measure my portions. Now that I have lost over seventy pounds my protein needs have dropped some and can add a vegetable now and then. With twenty-five pounds to go. @ six months.

Meatballs, chicken salad, tuna salad, egg salad, chopped pork and BBQ sauce, and refried beans. Worked for me.

So, in my book you're doing it right.
  • mfpdevotee
    Options
    Wow! over 70 lbs GONE!!! Congrats! I forgot about pork and I have a chipotle black bean hack that I add flavorless protein powder to.. Thank you so much. I'll add all of you ideas to the rotation!!
  • SkinnyDevi
    SkinnyDevi Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    mfpdevotee, do you mind sharing your chipotle black bean hack?
    Thanks!
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    There are a bunch of tuna single serve packets available now. They are very protein dense and I like the flavors. Lemon pepper, garlic herb, etc. I just ate the last one in my desk drawer at work for lunch, and need to restock.

100 cal packs of almonds aren't as protein dense, but as you add more foods (and calories) they are a good healthy fat source.

Jerky is another go to for my desk drawer. More of a snack than a meal, though.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I also pack small containers of food and freeze/refrigerate them. I cook for the family and mostly eat what they have. I will throw 2-3 servings in the food processor (still on puree/soft stage) and eat 1 serving and freeze the other 2. I also take canned chicken 4 0z and mix with a 100 cal pack of wholy guacamole and have lunch for 2 days. I also like the single packs of tuna, today it is sweet and spicy. I have dannon or yoplait lower carb greek yogurts and the individual pack of cottage cheese almost daily. Cheese sticks are good too.
  • mfpdevotee
    Options
    rple111 and janet thanks for the ideas!!! i'll have to try the tuna and the chx/guac idea.. i havent seen individual cottage cheese.. i'll have to keep my eyes peeled for those! THANKS!
    i finally tried the almond cran chicken salad that i found from costco and spit it out! i've become so picky.. i'm not going to waste a single bite/calorie if i dont enjoy the taste!!

skinnydevi - here's the link... i wouldnt say they are spot on for tasting like chipotle ( i've forgotten the exact chipotle taste because i havent had it in so long.. i used to get a veggie bowl, chips and a soda a couple times a week!!!!!) , but they taste great to me and you can bump up the protein value by adding a little protein powder..and then i packed them in 2 oz portions to avoid overeating...hope you like them.. enjoy!

http://savingslifestyle.com/2012/03/copycat-recipe-chipotles-vegetarian-black-beans/
  • SkinnyDevi
    SkinnyDevi Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thanks mfpdevotee!