Losing at a turtle pace

Options
I am 10 weeks out and have lost about 24 lbs. I was at 212.8 on surgery day 11/6/14, and this morning 189. I walk about 4 days a week for 2 miles and take a yoga class once a week. My NUT told me that I would lose slower than many as I just turned 60, and started with a lower BMI.
She also told me that the exercise I did would really affect my losses. I just got a new exercise band system to start more weight training, in the hopes of losing faster. I don't want to, but think I will start getting up early and walk/run a mile in the morning too. I

I know we aren't supposed to compare our results to others, but it is hard not to. Any ideas?

Replies

• pcoppock
    pcoppock Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If your nutrition is where it should be, then adding activity will certainly help.

-Phill
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Comparison is the enemy of happiness. Do what you were told to do. Keep doing it. You will get results. It might not be as fast as you want, but it will happen. :)
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    You are losing consistently, not gaining consistently. That is the goal. Keep your nutrition goals where they are supposed to be, especially the protein & fluids. Do the exercise. You will succeed. It won't be overnight, but none of us gained all our weight overnight either. Don't put pressure on yourself by comparing.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I weighed 386 and was 55 when I had my surgery 3.5 years ago. At first the weight just fell off and then at 9 months I hit a stall. After that the weight loss has been sporadic and slow. Per my surgical team, part of this is my lack of exercise (arthritis and injury), part that some people lose slower naturally and part of it is my age. I've lost 164 so far and am still working on getting below 200. I guess my point is, age, activity levels, etc., really doesn't matter. I was warned early not to compare myself to others as there are few out there who had over 200 pounds to lose like I did. My journey is unique to me as yours is to you. But remember, this is a journey not a race. As long as you are losing, you are still going in the right direction and you are still a winner.

Pat
  • Patty2point0
    Patty2point0 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said... Plus my 2 cents ;-). I've been relatively slow since the beginning and I had my surgery at 37 years old... When I went in sorta down to my pcp she said "well you definitely would not and have not been able to lose this much at this pace befor so you are much further along than you would have been on your own." Well, let the church say Amen! It wasn't a quick fox but it was true. As long as you are mostly on plan and checking in with your team. Then allow your body to do its thing. It's different for everyone but if I could have grasped that 9 months ago, it would have been a more peaceful journey.
    All the best to you!
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I am 46 and weigh more than you. At 5 weeks out, I have lost 18 lbs. I am happy with this. It is 3.5 per week so that is a good rate and 2.5 lbs/week for you which is a good rate and a healthy one. Adding resistance training will definitely help you see results (although sometimes these are not reflected on the scale). Keeping and building muscle will help you in the long run. Keep it up, you will get there.
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'll add my two cents I'm 61 had surgery July 2014 and have lost about 80 pounds so far. I have to say that I couldn't have asked for better success. You can have a good outcome too, just follow instructions from your team.

Randy
  • goodlife1206
    goodlife1206 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great advice. I have been running/walking each morning and that has helped with my losses. I don't read the posts anymore where they are asking how much people have lost. "Comparison is the thief of joy." (unknown) So true! I will get there at my own pace.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    age is such a sucker punch. In order for me to stay between 146 and 150lbs I can only allow myself 1360 which gives me a few hundred cal blow over. I am 45 and 5'5'. Still stunning to see how little food is my new normal. Drove me nuts watching 20 yr olds losing mass quantities of wt fast. learned not to compare-just weigh, measure and log. It eventually all came off. I was originally 257 2 yrs ago
  • rscpjim
    rscpjim Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yep I am 51 but will admit this sleeve has given me a new lease on life so far. Only 3 weeks out but ready lost a bunch. I know at some point it will slow down. But till then I am gonna enjoy the losses !
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    age is such a sucker punch. In order for me to stay between 146 and 150lbs I can only allow myself 1360 which gives me a few hundred cal blow over. I am 45 and 5'5'. Still stunning to see how little food is my new normal. Drove me nuts watching 20 yr olds losing mass quantities of wt fast. learned not to compare-just weigh, measure and log. It eventually all came off. I was originally 257 2 yrs ago

You are still my inspiration and mentor and thank you for doing that. Now we have gone and brought age into it, I'm 61 and 6 months postoperative. So far weight loss has been slowing but not stalled. I'm starting to get the exercise fully implemented weight room 3 days and deep water aerobic exercise 2 days.

Randy
  • mfpdevotee
    Options

reminds me of that zen proverb....chop wood, carry water

to get to goal: weigh, measure, log...
    after goal... weigh, measure, log!!!!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    mfpdevotee wrote: »

reminds me of that zen proverb....chop wood, carry water

to get to goal: weigh, measure, log...
    after goal... weigh, measure, log!!!!

Love it!!!