calories? how many at each stage post-op?

Options
I'm fixing to start on soft foods for my third week post-op starting tomorrow. How many calories should I be aiming for in this stage? I get my protein in with genepro and do 60 grams a day, take vitamins and biotin but I feel like I'm still losing slow. I'm down 11 pounds since my surgery on 1/5/15.

Replies

• weeziebeth
    weeziebeth Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Different plans have different goals. For me-I am to focus on grams of protein only, not so much concerning myself with calories. Protein first and as the focus. Check with your nutritionist as to how your program wants you to proceed.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    11 pounds in 13 days is not slow... dont compare yourself to others especially with different gender, age, height or starting weight than you. If you "only" lose 10 pounds a month, that is 120 pounds by one year. I assume you can live with that?
  • sweetcyanide
    sweetcyanide Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    That's how my clinic wants it too, focus on protein but I still want to eat healthy if I can so I was wondering what others are averaging daily. And I guess it's not that slow but it feels slow when my scale doesn't move much for a few days. It makes me wonder if maybe due to my stage I can't get enough calories to keep a steady pace. One of the ladies who went through said she's a few months out and finds that 1200 a day works well for her.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    My NUT said 600-800 calories per day, preferable in the low to middle end of that range. As the others have said, protein & fluid first. I try to get at least 2 - 3 oz protein first and then if I can a few veggies. I usually have to supplement with a protein drink of some kind because I just can't eat as much protein as I need.
  • aylajane
    Options
    That's how my clinic wants it too, focus on protein but I still want to eat healthy if I can so I was wondering what others are averaging daily. And I guess it's not that slow but it feels slow when my scale doesn't move much for a few days. It makes me wonder if maybe due to my stage I can't get enough calories to keep a steady pace. One of the ladies who went through said she's a few months out and finds that 1200 a day works well for her.

Everyone's body is different. Some people lose weight consistently from one week to the next, some "stair-step" - lose for 2 weeks, stall two weeks, etc. It averages out about the same - i.e. you can lose 2 pounds a week for 4 weeks, you can lose 4 pounds for 2 weeks and 0 for 2 weeks, you can lose 3 pounds then 4 pounds then gain 2 pounds then lose 3 pounds the next, etc. All those scenarios result in an 8 pound lose is 4 weeks. It makes no different how you get there. Especially women - some only gain or only lose during certain weeks of their cycle. The gains are water retention usually and unavoidable.

Look at your loss on a monthly basis, not a daily or weekly. In the end it wouldnt matter if you lost all 8 pounds in one day and stalled for 29... Chart your weight and you will find out what kind of loser you are - accept that, and you will avoid a lot of frustration. Make sure you are doing what you need to in terms of calories and protein and exercise, then just let nature take its course, whatever that might be.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    OP, heres a thread that was started in regard to your question, hope it helps!
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10055188/should-i-up-my-calories
    I know this can be frustrating not knowing what to aim for, I was also asking around months ago when I was starting to eat more.
    My nutritionist was not the least bit helpful, so I completely understand!
  • sweetcyanide
    sweetcyanide Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm just afraid of being that rare person who has surgery and doesn't lose enough weight from it. My HW was 346, and my pre-op weight was 303 so I feel like I have such a long ways to go. That thread definitely helps tho, I'm in no hurry to try to get large amounts of calories in at this point but I was concerned that the low numbers would stall me. I guess it will happen from time to time but as long as I get past it that's what matters
  • aylajane
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I guess I'm just afraid of being that rare person who has surgery and doesn't lose enough weight from it.

Lol - it is actually rare that the surgery doesnt "work" for anyone (at least initially, regain is another issue)... But it is extremely common to worry that it wont work for you... Every person who has had this surgery has had that thought cross their mind at least once. Its normal, and should motivate you to do everything you can to ensure that is not the case. Listen to your support team, do you part, and it will work out. Stress is something that will stall you as well, so let that go!
  • mfpdevotee
    Options
    Every program is different, my plan for the soft food phase day 15-30 post-op:
    32-60 oz. fluids
    600 calories per day (50-70 grams proteins, minimal cards and fats)= 3 meals per day of 2 oz (150 calories each) +150 calories of protein shake
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    At your stage water and protein should be your goal. If you can start getting the protein from food sources. It's not likely your can get too many calories if you follow this plan. Your NUT should be getting a diet plan for you soon, for now don't worry about it. IMHO anyway.

Randy