Safety in summer time! Make a good one! June 1

Options
garlic7girl
garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
Ok, this challenge is a reminder...as we approach summer (today included) don't forget to hydrate well especially in hot and humid weather! Try to work out in the least hot part of the day, I mean why make it worse? Please, wear sunscreen. Wear loose light colored clothes....if exercising with fido make sure he has water too!

These are just reminders so we all stay healthy! Please share with others and also any points of safety you have share here today as well!

Peace,
WW

Replies

• aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    How about I use the best sunscreen around: Staying inside. :drinker:
  • NatashaShen
    NatashaShen Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    How about I use the best sunscreen around: Staying inside. :drinker:

I agree!
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Another note on sunscreen: check the expiration date on your bottle, it can lose effectiveness (learned this the hard way on this one), make sure that it protects from UVA and UVB light, and even if it says it's water/sweat resistant or proof, make sure you reapply as it still only works for a few hours and when it gets wet it may be less time that it works. Just in case you do get sunburn, remember cool baths with colloidal oatmeal, put a bottle of aloe gel in the fridge to smooth on your burn, drink extra water, and take aspirin to help bring your temp down.

If you feel over heated, know the signs of heat exhaustion and head stroke, get in the shade (preferably a place with A/C or a fan) put a cool wet cloth on the back of your neck and drink things like Gatorade to help get your electrolytes back in balance and extra water (I do 1/2 Gatorade 1/2 water if I get these to do both) drink it cool not cold can make you feel even worse before you get back in balance.
  • goldmay
    goldmay Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Another note on sunscreen: check the expiration date on your bottle, it can lose effectiveness (learned this the hard way on this one), make sure that it protects from UVA and UVB light, and even if it says it's water/sweat resistant or proof, make sure you reapply as it still only works for a few hours and when it gets wet it may be less time that it works. Just in case you do get sunburn, remember cool baths with colloidal oatmeal, put a bottle of aloe gel in the fridge to smooth on your burn, drink extra water, and take aspirin to help bring your temp down.

If you feel over heated, know the signs of heat exhaustion and head stroke, get in the shade (preferably a place with A/C or a fan) put a cool wet cloth on the back of your neck and drink things like Gatorade to help get your electrolytes back in balance and extra water (I do 1/2 Gatorade 1/2 water if I get these to do both) drink it cool not cold can make you feel even worse before you get back in balance.

Thanks, that's great advice! I've gotten into the habit of putting on sunscreen everyday but I never considered that they'd expire (as I have some that are as old as a few summers ago) and I had no idea they block different kinds of light. I just checked mine and it only works for UVA! Luckily I have not been spending a lot of time outdoors.

Another thing to add is that sunscreen is important throughout the year, even if it's cloudy. :)