Recipe Ideas!

Options
fillingame
fillingame Posts: 36 Member
I know there is a recipe swap page, and I have been given some great "websites" to look at for recipes. I am a SUPER picky eater (don't care for many fruits or veggies, don't like my food to touch/mix, etc.). So, does anyone want to start a thread where we actually link an exact meal, snack, etc., that we have tried, and enjoyed? If not, no worries, just thought I'd through it out there... Maybe if there is enough interested, we could make a spreadsheet or document that has the recipes organized.... anyway, happy Monday all!

My favorite breakfast:
Egg and Cheese Muffins from
http://ourgreenehome.blogspot.com/2014/05/egg-and-cheesemuffins.html
Here's What You Need:
· eggs (One egg per muffin you plan to make. I usually make only 6
muffins at a time)
· shredded cheese
· spinach
· any other veggie you want to throw in
Here's What You Do:
1. Preheat the move at 360 and spray the muffin pan with Pam for easy
removal
2. Fill the bottom with the veggies you are using.
3. Fill the rest of the way up with shredded cheese and pat it down a bit.
4. Whisk eggs together and put into a measuring cup (for easy of
pouring).
5. Pour the eggs over each muffin.
6. Bake at 360 for 20-23 minutes.

Replies

• balancedwalker
    balancedwalker Posts: 686 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    After watching "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" I am looking for fresh fruit and vegetable juice/blends ideas that any member has tried and liked.
  • krp97
    krp97 Posts: 167 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I would love a recipe thread. I am always looking for new healthy recipes.

My new favorite breakfast is super simple. I mix about 1-1.5 tablespoons of peanut butter into 3/4 cup steel cut oatmeal. It has protien and fiber and keeps me full for hours. Also, the peanut butter makes the oatmeal creamy and it takes away the need for added sugar. I put some fruit in it this weekend and that was good too.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    My typical breakfast:

MyBreakfastRecipes1_zpsc5ce6454.jpg
  • NikonPal
    Options
    Other low calorie meals I make for myself include:

MealSamples_border_zps65f882d4.jpg

• balancedwalker
    balancedwalker Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    NikonPal, looks like some serious effort has gone in each of your 250 cal or less eateries.
  • garyandkimber
    garyandkimber Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Balancedwalker - I went through a period where I made fruit-based green smoothies for lunch almost every day. Here was my usual "recipe" --

Throw a banana, any kind of greens (as much as you can handle), and a little water in the blender (not a lot, just whatever you need to get it mixing well). Then add 1/2 of a piece of fresh fruit (any kind, but I remember that I particularly liked peaches/pears). Blend again. Throw in a few frozen berries (blueberries or strawberries work particularly well). Add a little water if too thick or a little extra ice if not cold enough (but often the berries were enough to do the trick).

The banana is the key ingredient because it makes the smoothie creamy. I have heard that some people substitute avocado, but I couldn't stomach that one myself. Other people use more vegetables, but again, you have to have a balance between what is good for you and something you can actually make yourself drink. ;)
  • NikonPal
    Options
    I like this section....I've been thinking about getting a blenders / juicer. I love to cook meals and concoct things to eat -- but once in awhile I'd like to just throw a banana, strawberries etc. together into a simple drink. :)
  • fillingame
    fillingame Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Nikon Pal: what is on the "roll"... maybe coleslaw and scallops or something similar? I can't really tell but all looks yummy!

KRP97: I am not an oatmeal fan, but that sounds doable with the fruit.. any special oats or pb that I should get?

• NikonPal
    Options
    That was Shredded & Sliced Asian Slaw - Napa Cabbage, Carrots & Celery with a homemade dressing mixture of low fat mayo, fresh lemon juice, apple cider vinegar and think something else…that was from a few months back.

As for oatmeal -- I was told steel-cut oats are processed less than others & have more protein and calcium than instant oats do. So that is what I used. :)
  • NikonPal
    Options
    After watching "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" I am looking for fresh fruit and vegetable juice/blends ideas that any member has tried and liked.

Watching "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" now -- there is also a sequel -- going to watch that too. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • krp97
    krp97 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Fillingame I prefer steel cut oats because they are less processed and to me have more substance than rolled. I just buy them in the bulk bins at sprouts about a pound at a time and it lasts me usually about a week and a half. I make a cup of raw oats at at time which works out to be about 4 cooked cups and lasts me the whole week. (I eat about 3/4 cup at a time). Then I put whatever peanut butter I have in. I prefer skippy creamy. I'm sure there is a healthier one you could eat if you want. I tried jiff extra crunchy this weekend because that's all we had and it wasn't as good, I definitely recommend creamy for whatever peanut butter you eat.
    If you add berries it tastes like a pb&j but is healthier, depending on the bread you would use of course. And the fact it is real fruit instead of sugared jelly.
    I hope it works for you!
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    NikonPal wrote: »
    My typical breakfast:

MyBreakfastRecipes1_zpsc5ce6454.jpg

Your presentation is so lovely! I've found that putting effort in to how I place the food on the plate and the ultimate aesthetic appeal really contributes to how satisfied I feel after. Its almost as if I focus more on the food when it looks nice!

• NikonPal
    Options
    lalepepper -- EXACTLY!

This is an excerpt of a post I made awhile back that sort of relates:

"...with just a little planning healthy low-calorie dinners can be just as easy and quick to prepare...

I never eat off a paper plate or out of a container. The last thing I want is a meal that screams “I’m on a diet!” I adjust plate size depending upon the meal. I also have healthy mid-morning / afternoon snacks and save some calories for the TV munchies (100-calorie popcorn, Fiber Bar, Jell, Sugar-free Fruit Cups, Edy’s Frozen Bars etc.)

I’m fortunate – I love to cook and meal-prep in some ways relaxes me – as long as I’m the only one in the kitchen (LOL). I buy mostly healthy foods and then get a bit creative.

I do NOT deprive my wife of her favorites. She does not have a weight problem – I do. I will buy her occasional chocolates, ice cream, pizza, chips and McDonalds etc. and have none of it myself. She has always had those things in moderation and it helps me condition myself.

When it comes to restaurants, I always check their on-line menu / nutrition guide and make multiple selections in advance. If out of town etc., I don't drive myself nuts. I know what is and isn't healthy. I know what portion sizes should look like (largely sticking with fist-size quantities)."
  • awhitley
    awhitley Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Looking for packable, easy lunch ideas that stay below 400 calories. Any ideas?

• libbeth_6212
    libbeth_6212 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    awhitley - this time of year i'm a huge fan of soup. you can eat a lot of soup for 400 calories! making it yourself (vs. buying canned) saves sodium, etc. i try to make a pot of soup over the weekend and then portion it out for lunches.

a couple recent favorites:
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/sausage-spinach-soup
    http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/avgolemono-chicken-soup-with-rice
    http://damndelicious.net/2014/03/22/cauliflower-chowder/
    http://ww-recipes.net/2012/01/weight-watchers-taco-soup-recipe-4-ww-points-6-ww-points-plus/

• lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    awhitley wrote: »

When I was packing lunches I liked to do Bento style meals. Rice with grilled chicken and veggies, a small portion of leftovers with a finger-food type veggie or fruit, or even pita bread/naan with a hummus or curry on the side and raw veggies.

Some of my go-to items for the Bento boxes included brown rice, cherry tomatoes, carrots, celery, kiwi, grapes, strawberries, cottage cheese, hard boiled egg, mozzarella cheese, greek yogurt, sunflower seeds/nuts, hummus, curry, leftovers, and the veggie patties you can get from makers like Morningstar. I also got some little rice presses and sauce bottles on Amazon to make things a little more fun and packable. If you have a variety of packable staples you can put together whatever you're in the mood for that day.
  • NikonPal
    Options
    20150203_091620%20cal_zpsaehqy8zn.jpg

20150203_144550_LUNCH%20Haddock_2_zpsib2affmf.jpg
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    awhitley wrote: »

Can you heat it? If so, I love packing a Tupperware with some veggies, usually some potatoes or sweet potatoes, although I also do roasted root veggies or winter squash, and some protein that I prepare in the slow cooker on Sunday (often overnight Sunday night) for that purpose.

Today's was pork shoulder with Brussels sprouts, broccoli, and roasted carrots.

The pork, of course, adds to the calorie count, but I started doing this as a nice way to cook boneless, skinless chicken breasts (which I otherwise find kind of dull) and various turkey parts. I have a big Tupperware I keep the meat in when it's done, and I just cook my veggies with dinner the night before and then measure out some meat to add in the morning.

Pasta is also an option--I'd use the chicken breast and veggies and heat it up at work.

I also like soup and salad, but always worry about carrying soup to work (just my issue) and never like the salad as much when it travels, so prefer having salad at home or buying it.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I just discovered Onigiri

it's Japan's equivalent to the traditional sandwich and it is so good!

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Onigiri

the best part is that they have some cute onigiri molds to shape them into little bears, cats, penguines ect!