DOG as exercise partner...

Options
NikonPal
NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
Gotta love an inspirational scene like this – a reminder of our “potential” and as Debbie Macomber (Mrs. Miracle) said: “It’s all right to sit on your pity pot every now and again. Just be sure to flush when you are finished."

A dog is not only man's best when the owner is legally blind … he is his best bud, friend and “exercise partner.”

This morning, I saw a visually impaired (legally blind) man walking with his dog by a store, the next thing I knew he was entering Planet Fitness.

I spoke with the PF employee and found out he is a “regular” that comes in rides the bike and then leaves after a workout. He told me to watch…and I did.

The dog led the man to the bike stations, but none were available…so the dog led the man to a chair and sat beside his master. When a bike opened, the guide-dog led him to it – the man did his workout and then left with his friend.

Replies

• CaseSea13
    CaseSea13 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    That just warmed my lil heart :) I just love great stories like this. Thanks for sharing.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    I love this!
  • Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Aaawww, dogs are amazing creatures. And service dogs even more so, they are the eyes and ears of their owners allowing them to live life far more safely and to do so much more independently. They are their best friend and companion.
  • trailsrock
    trailsrock Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I took my dog for a two-mile walk this week, and she was wiped out. Poor thing... but it made me feel pretty good about my progress. (haha) She was very happy, though.
  • krp97
    krp97 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    This is such an awesome story! Really makes me feel like I have no excuse.
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    What a great story! At my LA Fitness we have a man who appears to have developmental disabilities. He has a partner who comes with him on a regular basis and works out with him and helps him use the different equipment. Always nice to see diversity at the gym!
  • skintymochamama
    skintymochamama Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Awwww..... :) He probably doesn't even know how many people he inspires.