GD testing, how awful is it?

Options
fit_mama30
fit_mama30 Posts: 178 Member
edited January 2015 in Social Groups
I have to do the GD test tomorrow (50g, without eating for 8 hours prior to the test) and I'm nervous! A nurse is coming to my home to do the test so that's good but... How awful is it? I have to say I usually LOVE anything sugary but I haven't been craving any sugar this pregnancy... So maybe I won't think the drink is THAT bad?

Also, should I 'watch' what I eat today a little bit more or just eat as usual? I think I'll skip the ice cream tonight though ;)

Also, I have to drive shortly after, but I've read stories about women not feeling well/dizzy, after the test... how did you feel after the test?

Thanks! :)

Replies

• AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's nearly as bad as everybody makes it out to be. The drink doesn't taste great, but it isn't awful by any means. Kinda like a dull-flavored Sunny D lol. I don't remember feeling funny at all from it, and I would just eat normally today. Stinks they told you not to eat for 8 hours before the test...that will probably make you feel worse than anything. My doctor said try to avoid carbs and stick to protein the morning of the test, but otherwise no restrictions. Honestly, the worst part to me was having to get stuck for the blood draw. Good luck!
  • fit_mama30
    Options
    Thanks! That helps. I'm use to getting blood tests because I had anemia when I was younger and they would take 8-9 tubes at a time... so 1-2 tube is fine by me :) Sunny D isn't all that bad I guess!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I had to have it with all 3 of mine as I have a family history of diabetes (I was fine, but I understand it's a necessary precaution).

The drink actually made me feel really faint with my first and third, but I had to have it done at the hospital, and the 2 hour wait was in the blood test area waiting room, on an uncomfortable chair. If you're at home you could lie down.

I had to fast for 12 hours beforehand, then be at the hospital for 9am, they did a blood test, then I had to drink the vile drink, then sit for 2 hours, then have another blood test. I don't like overly sweet things, and I especially don't like sweet drinks, so I think that's why I felt so ill, plus it was on an empty stomach. Although I felt fine with my 2nd baby, so not sure why.

I went straight to the hospital café after and had a coffee and a sandwich and was absolutely fine. I went back to work first time round (2nd and 3rd time I was part time and it was my day off).
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I didnt find it bad at all, but I also didn't have to fast prior to the test. Good luck
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Holy cats, this sounds like no fun... I think I'll schedule mine as early in the a.m. as possible so my sleep can count toward my fast. I have been extra sensitive (as in nausea, headaches, exhaustion) to foods/drinks and eating too much/not enough since becoming pregnant, so I'm hopeful that I will be one of the lucky ones that doesn't become ill from it.
    Ya know, I really do have a different appreciation for my mother now that I'm going through all of this!
  • ganzelly
    ganzelly Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I only had to fast one hour prior also. So I had normal breakfast and lunch, waited one hour and then went for the test. I imagine that the drink after fasting would be worse, but as you said, you are at home so you can lay or sit comfortably until the blood test. And I ate perfectly normal that day. I figured if I had a blood sugar issue I wanted it to show so I could do what was necessary to fix it. Good luck!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Is that still the GTT when you only fast for an hour? I live in England and the GTT is done at 28 weeks, and they always book you in for 9am, and they only do 2 women at the same time in case you don't feel well, and it's always 12 hours fasting. You only have the test due to family history, obesity, protein or sugar in your wee or measuring big.
  • fit_mama30
    Options
    Well, it was alright! I was hungry because it was 7am and my meal was around 8pm the day before. I had lowish blood sugar levels right before the test, but I think it was because of the fast. I just NEED to eat as soon as I wake up...

But anyways, the orange drink was fine (it tasted like orange cola, really) and I didn't feel anything; I didn't feel weird or different at all.

I hope the results are fine though ;) I think I won't know until next week or so.
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    That's good news! Will keep fingers crossed for good results. =)
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    My midwife when my GD was ordered (done for everyone here) told me not to fast. That I could eat a normal breakfast, just stay away from anything with sugar, so eggs or toast (no jelly). I didn't do milk because I know there's sugar in it, but it was nice not having to fast. I didn't have an issue with the test - it tastes better when they refrigerate it I found.
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I am sooo nervous for my test. I did the test when I was pregnant with my four year old son and it was a white drink. I could barely get it down... I was literally about to puke! So nervous to go through it again! I have a very queasy stomach when I'm not pregnant, so when I am pregnant, i get so queasy very easily. ugh :(