Vegan low calorie high energy foods

Options
Ok, so I am vegan and im trying to lose weight and I need to find foods that are LOW in calorie but high energy. I will be starting to work out next week and im a little worried about fuel for my body. I usually wake up in the morning and drink a smoothie with Bananas, spinach and almond milk and that gives me SOME energy but I don't think its going to be enough to get me through a 2 hr work out. And advise would be so welcome :-)

Replies

• NateMcG76
    NateMcG76 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hmm... I'm no nutritionist, but what you are looking for doesn't exist. The calories in food are the energy.

My car gets 30 miles per gallon. Doesn't matter if if I fill up using $1.80 per gallon regular unleaded or $2.50 per gallon ultra plus unleaded.

Gas is the energy source for my car. Calories are the energy source for our bodies.

We can fill out tank with the "good stuff".. Low calorie/High nutrient foods (like you are already for breakfast), or the "cheap stuff" (processed cereals and no veggies or fruit).. but at the end of the day a calorie is a calorie to the body. Got to put more "gas" in the tank to go further.

Now on the flip side... our bodies can become more efficient with the use of calories and we can go further/do more on less, but we have to build up to that.

I would A.) start with less than a 2hr workout. Or B.) take a snack to refuel after an hour.
    Then again.. I'm not a personal trainer either lol.
  • proximateplatypus
    Options
    I have to agree with Nate on all counts. Calories are our energy source. do you mean low calorie and high protein?
    before you work out, try eating a small amount of whole grains such as oatmeal or whole wheat pancakes, and after you could have a smoothie? (add some hemp or a protein powder too!) of course, everyone has a different routine...

if you're new to working out, I would recommend starting out easier, like 10 minutes of bodyweight exercises and 30 minutes of yoga or something like that.
  • LifeNewandImproved
    LifeNewandImproved Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Caffeine! I'm serious. I usually have coffee (and sometimes I add diet soda on top) along with a bowl of cereal + almond milk for a workout. I'll add a mandarin or an apple if I feel I should. Caffeine is statistically shown to improve workout performance. I use it shamelessly.
  • luminousbluecrystal
    Options
    I'm a vegan who recently transitioned to high raw. I find that eating unprocessed foods has given me an energy boost. I was only planning to do it for a few weeks, but the energy boost and how great I feel is motivating me to continue. I have to eat what appears to be a lot of food, but that is becuase it's not that much in calories. Feel free to add me. My diary is open to my friends. I exercise 4-5 times per week.
  • hgfox4580
    hgfox4580 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Try shiratake noodles. They are with the tofu in grocery stores. They are high in protein, low in calories and carbs, but the texture is like rubber bands. You can dry them out a bit by dry frying in a non-stick pan, and then add your flavoring or sauces. I didn't like them at first, but they have grown on me!