MyFitnessPal Tips and Tricks?

justinsgym
justinsgym Posts: 30 Member
Hi Everyone,

Regardless of whether or not you attended the first MyFitnessPal workshop, I wanted to check in and see which features of the site you found most useful. Has anyone synced their fitbit or activity tracker? Does anyone use the recipe creator or the barcode scanner? What's worked best for you in terms of ease of access and overall functionality?

Replies

• mollykienzler913
    mollykienzler913 Posts: 18 Member
    I was skeptical at first, but I LOVE MFP now. Sort of obsessed! I'm still working out some kinks (especially because I almost never go on an actual computer and iPhone doesn't get all the features) but I love the barcode scanner option, and I'm finally getting the hang of adding recipes so I have a quick go-to for meals I make, and how many calories are in each portion I eat.

As far as ease of access, I just have my phone on me whenever I'm about to eat a meal, and I tend to log everything before I start so I have an idea of what I'm going to eat calorie-wise. It can be surprising!! So some days it has helped me slow down, other days not.... either way, it's holding me much more accountable and I'm learning a lot about the food I consume!
  • mommymeepa
    mommymeepa Posts: 11 Member
    I'm back to using it again and seeing the difference in my weight loss. I love the bar code scanner. I know when I don't track I don't see the results I want. It is good for me to be back in routine of tracking. The first week of the challenge was rough, but I think I am 10 days in a row now. Yay me!!
  • I've used myfooddiary for so long and it calculated all macros and micros, fiber, etc. However, MFP is hands down so much better in terms of finding foods to input- which helps so you don't have to create or input foods. Sometimes if I had a bad day ( or thought I did) I wouldn't log because I thought I was so far off my goals. if I go astray it's good to see it's not as bad as I think it is when I log it, and also, that if I made a choice due to being hungry, etc what that choice results in (high sodium, etc.)
  • lauradraucker463
    lauradraucker463 Posts: 7 Member
    I have been using the recipe creator a lot, and I love that it will import directly from the web since that is were I get most of my recipes these days anyway. You still may have to tweet it a bit and it can have some bugs, but way better than the manually inputing of the past. The bar code scanner is great as well. The only complaint I have is that it isn't so easy to access the groups from the app ( at least that I can find).
  • It annoys me that we can't enter strength training classes, like the circuit classes, in MFP. Even if I remembered, I would not have the patience to enter the number of reps, etc., for each exercise. I just want to say strength training & the total time spent - e.g., circuit class, 30 mins, or arm weights, 20 mins.
  • mollykienzler913
    mollykienzler913 Posts: 18 Member
    Rowena-- put, under cardio, Calisthenics. It will either give you the light/moderate effort option (for a class like Barre, pilates, yoga), or vigorous effort (things like circuit training, boot camp, at home push ups etc.). It's not all gonna be exact but that's the closest we can get with MFP :) and I think what Justin had recommended to me a while back for entry.
    Cardio is also the only section that shows calories burned. Strength exercises don't show that, and aren't really necessary to enter individually, I don't think, unless that's what you did for the day and you just want to take note of it.
    hope that helps!
  • Thanks, that is helpful!
  • smayhems
    smayhems Posts: 4 Member
    I'm using recipe creator more and I like it, very helpful. I like logging my food, I find it helps me a lot, otherwise I really underestimate what I'm eating. I also like the newish feature that lets you group things you often have together. I often have the same lunch salad so it makes it quick to put that in.