Active MFP members with Crohns

Options
LEJ2015
LEJ2015 Posts: 25 Member
Hello all,

I recently searched for a group looking for other Crohns patients who wanted to share their experiences and weight loss or gain process and I found this group. I am not sure but it seems like a lot of the posts are rather old and I was wondering if there were any Members who were interested in becoming friends?? My diary is open and I am looking to help others in any way possible and hoping for the same in return. Please add me if you are interested in new friends! Thanks :smile:

Replies

• JaimeNJ
    JaimeNJ Posts: 51 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm here. I'm strictly following the Specific Carbohydrate Diet in hopes of a clean colonoscopy in April. Doctor wants me on Humira, and I do NOT want to go that route. So she's giving me a shot at healing myself through diet. Don't think she believes I can do it, but it has worked for some. Here's hoping...

21071267.png
  • tchell99
    tchell99 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Hi - I've been a Crohnie since about 1998. I don't have an open diary (find I am more honest in my logging that way), but am happy to share experiences and talk about what foods work for me, though it sounds like trigger foods can vary a lot by person - finding a happy diet seems to mostly involve a lot of trial and error.

I used to have a pretty severe case that culminated in sepsis in my gut 4 years ago, several surgeries to remove several feet of hole-riddled intestine, install and take down an ostomy, and lots of adventure-filled complications in between (collapsed lung, DVT, etc.). It was definitely not my favorite life experience to date.

I've been on Imuran ever since and it's been better, though not perfect. Eating badly (mostly greasy fried food, too much high-fat food, or too much food) and stress can bring on a flares, but not like what I had before.

Happy to listen if you need an ear.
  • RottieLovie
    RottieLovie Posts: 6 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hi, I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis this past summer in June. I was trying to lose weight by "eating healthy" which paired with stress sent me into my first flare and lead to being diagnosed. It has forced me to change my eating, but not for the better. Salad and raw veggies hurt me very badly, so it's a balance finding what I SHOULD eat for health, and what my body will tolerate. I lost about 70lbs during the last several months, because my body wasn't holding onto any food. I've finally leveled out the past couple months, and I am now back to intentionally trying to lose weight, and started light work outs. :)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I am also a Crohnie. I was diagnosed 13 years ago and have had almost every issue out there and have been on many different med regimens. I have tried to control my disease with only diet. Even though I felt better for a while, my doctor said that I was still experiencing inflammation which was damaging my colon. I just wasn't aware of it because my diet helped to mask the symptoms. So, for me anyway, diet only helps me to feel better if I am in a flare, but doesn't stop me from flaring, if that makes sense. I do eat gluten free though because it has helped with GI issues among other things (I have never been tested for Celiac, but don't care to be since I know I will continue to eat GF regardless). Currently, I am on Remicade and Imuran. Feel free to add me if you want!
  • abk1968
    abk1968 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    its strange how different food groups affect crohn's patents in different ways im fine with gluten but what can totally cripple me is lactose have gone to rice milk and only eat lactose free cheese etc and seem a major improvement
  • chamberswagner
    chamberswagner Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease in 2009. I had a colectomy to remove my large intestine in 2012, when I was that sick I lost a lot of weight from malabsorption and appetite loss but I've gained it all back plus some (since I could enjoy eating again post surgery).

I need to be serious about losing weight. I just had surgery to repair several hernias which were caused in part by my weight.

My surgeon has suggested gastric bypass surgery but I really don't want to go that route because my guts are messed up enough without a surgery like that.
  • ckdprevent
    ckdprevent Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis this past summer in June. I was trying to lose weight by "eating healthy" which paired with stress sent me into my first flare and lead to being diagnosed. It has forced me to change my eating, but not for the better. Salad and raw veggies hurt me very badly, so it's a balance finding what I SHOULD eat for health, and what my body will tolerate. I lost about 70lbs during the last several months, because my body wasn't holding onto any food. I've finally leveled out the past couple months, and I am now back to intentionally trying to lose weight, and started light work outs. :)

Me too. I have had mild ulcerative colitis for over 10 years. I have gained a large amount of weight since I started work as a coder. I can not eat a "healthy diet " it throws me in a flare. Rowasa didn't work, prednisone didn't work. I basically try to control it with diet, eating low residue, taking a vitamin, and portion control. I measure, measure, and log, log log.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I have severe fistulizing Crohn's colitis. Fistulas are going to be the death of me. Hate them with a passion