Retired and Lazy

Options
sfhappy
sfhappy Posts: 59 Member
I try to get myself out of the house in the am, but unless I have a date with a friend or a class appointment, going for a walk or doing anything else is difficult. I'm not very self-motivated. It's so easy to be on the computer or do the crossword. Having an errand is somewhat helpful. I'd like to have a simple routine that will make me enthusiastic and happy. I'm such a slow poke right now.

Replies

• msh1959
    Options
    I'm unable to walk much so I knit a lot. I am truly sedentary so must keep my calories low. It's hard to give up food. We don't have to drink or smoke, but we do have to eat! Bummer. How are your efforts coming along?
  • sfhappy
    Options
    Are you disabled? Can I offer some suggestions?
    Today I took a nice flat walk. about 1.5 miles. It felt good to be outside. Ate lunch out. Had a yummy salad with Ahi tuna and grilled Portobello mushrooms and sesame dressing.. Excellent! I've decided re calories to eat when I feel hungry, but not too much or at least eat "healthy" (low/no carb). I keep looking for the magic formula. Unfortunately, I'm still at the same weight as 2 weeks ago. My rationalization at this point is that it's taking time for my body to get used to my new habits. The problem is that there is always at least one day when I go over my calorie count or don't exercise. So, I really am not in habit mode yet. I'm hoping this next week my efforts kick in and I lose a pound. Just have to keep trying.
  • lonelywombat
    lonelywombat Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm so large right now that it's hard to get around. I ordered a treadmill but it's very large and imposing looking so I haven't gotten on it yet. I've been staring at it for three days trying to get up my nerve. I'm retired too and having issues with loneliness and I have self medicated with food and/or wine that I have to give up. Finding it kind of tough going right now. :/
  • BettyTheBadger
    BettyTheBadger Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just signed up for MFP a few days ago. I think the hardest part is just getting started and keeping my goals realistic. I know exercise is important, but I have got to the eating under control. There was a doctor on TV a few days ago that said there is no such thing as a "good" snack. I took that to heart and am trying not to snack. If I get desperate I eat celery or chew gum. It's okay right now. I just have to take things an hour at a time.... Glad to see other folks here. We can support each other!
  • sfhappy
    Options
    Hello, Lonelywombat and Betty,

I haven't been on MFP in a long time. Just getting back into it. It's easy to get discouraged, but let's share some good suggestions.

1. I hope you got up the nerve to get on the treadmill. Baby Steps are required. I use a timer to help me get through difficult chores. How about getting on the treadmill for 10 minutes? Can you put on some music? Do you have a fun, happy, pretty shirt you enjoy wearing? Dress up like you are going out for a walk. No frumpy sweats. You can do it! Look in the mirror and smile and talk out loud to your "friend" and convince her to walk for 10 minutes.

3. Not sure where you heard that snacking isn't good for you, but it's not the snacking, it's the kind of snack and perhaps, the frequency. One thing about MFP is that I'm not sure they give you the right amount of calories to lose weight. I changed my calorie goal by calculating my BMR. What are your calorie goals? I noticed that a lot of people, regardless of height, weight, age all had a goal around 1250. Mine is 1345*1.375 (BMR*Activity Factor)= 1849 maintenance calories. 1849-500=1349. It's also said not to go below 1200 calories/day.

Hope you are both doing well. Tomorrow I go for a 2 hour walk/hike with my hubby.
  • grannynot
    grannynot Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    "New kid" here. 63 yr old Grandma, want to lose about 25 lbs. Back on MFP since calorie-counting seems to work the best for me and it syncs with my Garmin Vivofit. I'm partially retired, definitely lazy; fighting the usual arthritis/osteoporosis associated with being older - but determined to stay as active as possible.

Sitting here at work under a sign that says "Make it a priority, or stop complaining and learn to live with your failures".
  • sfhappy
    Options
    Welcome, Grannynot! I would love to lose just 2 pounds, let alone 25. I was happy yesterday because it looked like the scale was going in the right direction. But then yesterday I had a glass and a half of wine and didn't exercise. The scale today has shot up. I keep telling myself it's a combo of diet and activity, but I can't always get myself moving. I tried today to go to zumba gold, but it was cancelled! What a day! Anyhow, I'm committed to log into MFP for the next month. I do so want to see some good results.

Best wishes for a productive day!
  • grannynot
    Options
    LOL! I'm not sure how "productive" it was because I was sitting in the lake yakking with some girlfriends - but it's pretty hard to snack while you're soaking wet. Of course, putting on a bathing suit is ALWAYS a reminder for me that I need to lose some weight........sigh....
  • sfhappy
    Options
    So, how productive are you trying to be? What are your activities? I thought I was motivated to do something every day and then, all of a sudden, the drive went out of me. I notice it's nice to have a social situation in order to get moving.
    Speaking of lakes, tomorrow we go to Lake Tahoe with our grandson. Hoping I swim (in the pool) and take a walk. But the idea of sitting by the lake and yakking does appeal to me!
  • grannynot
    Options
    sfhappy wrote: »
    So, how productive are you trying to be? What are your activities?

I mostly "putter". I'm a Jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none. I'm currently helping a daughter tile the backsplash at her house. I paint (walls, not pictures) and build stuff. I move a lot, but it's not calorie-shredding movement, sadly. We own a used car lot and I occasionally detail cars; plus am the "janitor/landscaper/cleaning person" for that

Have fun in Tahoe!!!!