Eating for Training

Options
sstroh2
sstroh2 Posts: 4 Member
Hello everyone! I am finishing my first week of training for the Rock the Parkway 1/2 marathon in April. Does anyone have anyone have any suggestions for diet during training, I am also trying to lose some weight, but the primary concern is fueling the workouts for the training. I know the common sense stuff, like avoiding soda and fast food, and eating lots of fruits and veggies, but the other stuff that I have found regarding diet has been really overwhelming. I'm not looking to go paleo or vegan or anything as drastic as all that, but I want to know if there is something I might be missing or not considering as I get further in training. Thanks for listening

Replies

• SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    You should check out Race Weight from Matt Fitzgerald...it all about losing weight and getting intp peak performance. Lots of really good information, and there is even a Race Weight Cookbook full of runner happy meals.
  • suetorrence
    suetorrence Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    You should check out Race Weight from Matt Fitzgerald...it all about losing weight and getting intp peak performance. Lots of really good information, and there is even a Race Weight Cookbook full of runner happy meals.

I agree about Matt Fitzgerald's books. Also his book about Half Marathon and Marathon Nutrition.
  • dtesle
    dtesle Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Matt Fitzgerald's books are good. I personally like Chris Carmichael's book, " Food for Fitness, Eat Right to Train Right." I thought it was an easier read. This book was printed in 2004-05, so it might be hard to find. If you can find it, I am sure you will find it beneficial. There are sample meal plans in it based on your training stage along with recipes.
  • plateaued
    plateaued Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Here's an article whose advice I would not follow. It says better results for weight maintenance by running on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. Maybe bodies in Belgium are different.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/01/23/ask-well-the-best-time-of-day-to-exercise/?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=Moth-Visible&module=inside-nyt-region&region=inside-nyt-region&WT.nav=inside-nyt-region

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    plateaued wrote: »
    Here's an article whose advice I would not follow. It says better results for weight maintenance by running on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. Maybe bodies in Belgium are different.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/01/23/ask-well-the-best-time-of-day-to-exercise/?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=Moth-Visible&module=inside-nyt-region&region=inside-nyt-region&WT.nav=inside-nyt-region
    I know I do far better running in the AM on an empty stomach...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I agree about Matt Fitzgerald's books. Also his book about Half Marathon and Marathon Nutrition.

I also like Matt Fitzgerald's books. Diet Cults is pretty interesting too, although more of general interest vs. race nutrition (although it also contains ideas about how to eat well).
  • nicolejo143
    nicolejo143 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions of how to set macros?
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    Any suggestions of how to set macros?
    macros are an individual thing.
    a good starting point is 40% carbs and 30% each of the others. I've noticed that 30% protein tends to be over 1g/lbm for me. which is good since I also lift

start there and adjust as needed. you might need more carbs than the 40% but its definitely a good starting point
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

Same here. I do 98% of my running in the early morning, completely fasted. This includes marathon training runs of up to 22 miles.
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I have my macros set at 45% carbs, 30 Prot, 25% fat....then when I get into training for a marathon it bumps to 50/30/20. My body doesn't do well with higher fatty foods (give me runners trots...not fun, true story lol).
  • lishie_rebooted
    edited January 2015
    Options
    CarsonRuns wrote: »

Same here. I do 98% of my running in the early morning, completely fasted. This includes marathon training runs of up to 22 miles.

I hope to grow up to be just like you Carson! (no sarcasm lol)
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options

So I don't have your wealth of experience, but I do have some trial and error to draw from and whilst I can go and do a long run fasted no problems at all, I certainly cannot do that if I've spent the previous week eating to a deficit. If I try I will crash after 90-120 mins.

Are you able to go fasted under such a circumstance or do you alter the approach?
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    sjb74uk wrote: »

So I don't have your wealth of experience, but I do have some trial and error to draw from and whilst I can go and do a long run fasted no problems at all, I certainly cannot do that if I've spent the previous week eating to a deficit. If I try I will crash after 90-120 mins.

Are you able to go fasted under such a circumstance or do you alter the approach?

Due to the rungries that come on toward the end of marathon training, I'm at maintenance or above usually. During normal training cycles I can do 50+ miles weeks at a 400 calorie a day deficit.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options

Third That. Empty Stomach Training early mornings.
  • runner475
    Options

Can I ask -

How is your Carb intake the day before or a day before the day you "crash" at 90 - 120 mins (I'm assuming your weekly mileage is solid and you have good running background) ?

Eating @ deficit with compromise of Carbs will generally get that "crash" state. IMHO
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I also run in the mornings without eating, upto 20 miles. I do carb load the day before my long run spreading out the calories the day before and day after. Trying to eat back an additional 2000-3000 calories plus my 1500 from normal activity is difficult. Adding in 500-600 calories the night before generally gives me enough to get through the run. I'll eat and drink about 500 calories during the run, then eat back another 500-600 immediately following. That gets me to 60-70% of the run calories back with the remaining spread out over the rest of the day and next.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »

Can I ask -

How is your Carb intake the day before or a day before the day you "crash" at 90 - 120 mins (I'm assuming your weekly mileage is solid and you have good running background) ?

Eating @ deficit with compromise of Carbs will generally get that "crash" state. IMHO

Low, that's the point I am trying to draw out for the OP. Going out on a long run fasted, at the back end of a week of 5 other runs, whilst carb depleted is a different prospect than if you're well fuelled. I think it's important to make that distinction.
  • runner475
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »

Can I ask -

Low, that's the point I am trying to draw out for the OP. Going out on a long run fasted, at the back end of a week of 5 other runs, whilst carb depleted is a different prospect than if you're well fuelled. I think it's important to make that distinction.

+1
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    The goal of the long run is to train your body to burn fat as fuel over glycogen. Consuming carbs immediately before a run will limit your bodies ability to do that. There is a really good article on this. About 2/3's the way down there is a section on eating and running.
    http://www.marathonguide.com/training/articles/mandbfuelonfat.cfm
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I only do half my long runs fasted, others I take in a lot of carbs to simulate race day intake.