How do you motivate yourself to leave your console?

Options
MikeWanzuk
MikeWanzuk Posts: 34 Member
I am a pc player and I have an addiction where I can be on the computer all day and night but I've been working out more often lately and I wanted to know how you get yourself away from the computer to get yourself into fitness.

Replies

• x_Minerva_x
    x_Minerva_x Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I tried and failed the past couple of weeks due to H1z1, and my lack of willpower to put the keyboard down >.>

However, I try to justify working 12-13 hour shifts that require me to be on my feet 3 times a week (albeit I no it's not a good excuse.)

I'll be interested to hear some good tips myself.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I never cared about my weight or health even though I was stupid huge and ridiculously out of shape for most of my 20's. I was addicited to gaming. I played the hell out of FFXI for the PC. Unless I was at work, asleep, or meeting up with friends to go to the movies, attend cons, etc etc, I was at home playing. What motivated me to change f was in my late 20's I discovered I had a plethora of health problems. Type II diabetes, high blood pressure, cholesterol, and problems sleeping. I was tired all the time and would fall asleep day or night. I quit FFXI cold turkey and slowly became more active. I didn't want to be on medications and possibly needing a CPAP machine for the rest of my life.

Few years later I am off all the meds, no longer diabetic and lost quite a bit of weight and sleep fine now. I still have another 80-90 I'd like to drop but I'm taking my time. My focus isn't weight loss anymore but getting physically getting stronger and faster. It's gonna sound cheesy but wanting to look like comic book superheroes motivate me quite a bit and eventually I'd like to get into cosplay and I want to look great doing so.

I still play games too, I just reduced from playing 8 to 10 hrs a day, everyday to now 3 to 4 hrs a week. Though I love playing MMORPG's, I don't play them anymore. It's too much of a time sink that I just can't afford.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I don't. I just eat in a calorie deficit to lose weight and it works. But if I did want to exercise, I think I would set myself up a rewards system. Tell myself 'no more Civ 5 until I've gone swimming!' or something. Then I'd want to play so bad that I'd go swimming just to kick Alexander the Great's butt with a diplomatic victory.
  • lisenden
    lisenden Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I play RPGs and love the exploration aspect. I want to be able to explore in real life. Geek alert: when I hike, I pretend I'm a ranger (Lisen is my ranger character). My motivation is to get into shape enough to hike/backpack again, especially since we live in the Canadian Rockies! So, after exploring in game I remember how awesome hiking here is and I need to get in shape to be able to hike again.

Less specific suggestions:
    1. Exercise before gaming. Once you are into the game, it's harder to break off for an hour to exercise. Make it a rule: I have to do at least x minutes fitness before gaming. The number of minutes required could depend on day. If you've just finished a12 hour shift, maybe make it ten minutes. On non-work days, maybe make it 30.
    2. Another trick I had when I used to work an 8-hour day and belonged to a gym: don't go home between work and gym. If I went home first, nine times out of ten I didn't make it to gym.
    3. Set a timer when gaming. Maybe once an hour you walk around block. Or once every 30 minutes you take stairs from basement to top floor and back.
    4. Gamify fitness. I use Fitocracy, a free app, and I can't say enough for community. If you go that route, my user name is Lisenden there too. Let me know so I'll spend more time giving you encouragement! I've been thinking of giving Nerd Fitness, which is more RPG! a go, but right now I feel like I've got enough apps/communities going on for now. If anyone finds that a more appealing route, let me know and I'll join that too.

• daleanime
    daleanime Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm not a shining example of what to do, but I always leave my gaming for the last thing of the day to do, always get my exercise done and my platforms of choice allow me to move while playing. :D
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    MikeWanzuk wrote: »
    how you get yourself away from the computer to get yourself into fitness.

I agree with lisenden, gamification can be very useful. I've got a daily template for tasks to do in a t-file, but it works like a checklist. My main metric is "hours of planned activity" vs. my main waste of time, reading random crap on the Internet.
    I don't use any fancy systems otherwise, but there are a lot of systems out there people are doing with RPG-style progressions and stat tracking.

I actually have to force myself to play games! I enjoy 'em once I get going and I have a huge respect and interest for the medium and know they enrich my life, so I make a point to do them. But they're intellectually "hard" to do, and if I'm tired, the momentum is definitely against playing anything.

Back to exercise: the main thing though, is you need a strong "why". Without that, you're just messing around. Your "why" of exercising needs to be stronger than the "why" of sitting on the computer, or forget it.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    lisenden wrote: »
    I play RPGs and love the exploration aspect. I want to be able to explore in real life. Geek alert: when I hike, I pretend I'm a ranger (Lisen is my ranger character). My motivation is to get into shape enough to hike/backpack again, especially since we live in the Canadian Rockies! So, after exploring in game I remember how awesome hiking here is and I need to get in shape to be able to hike again.

Less specific suggestions:
    1. Exercise before gaming. Once you are into the game, it's harder to break off for an hour to exercise. Make it a rule: I have to do at least x minutes fitness before gaming. The number of minutes required could depend on day. If you've just finished a12 hour shift, maybe make it ten minutes. On non-work days, maybe make it 30.
    2. Another trick I had when I used to work an 8-hour day and belonged to a gym: don't go home between work and gym. If I went home first, nine times out of ten I didn't make it to gym.
    3. Set a timer when gaming. Maybe once an hour you walk around block. Or once every 30 minutes you take stairs from basement to top floor and back.
    4. Gamify fitness. I use Fitocracy, a free app, and I can't say enough for community. If you go that route, my user name is Lisenden there too. Let me know so I'll spend more time giving you encouragement! I've been thinking of giving Nerd Fitness, which is more RPG! a go, but right now I feel like I've got enough apps/communities going on for now. If anyone finds that a more appealing route, let me know and I'll join that too.
    Oh yeah Fitocracy! I use it every now and then. There's also a free app game for Android and Apple smartphones called Ingress. You pick a faction, walk around "capturing" landmarks for your team, attack and take control of areas controlled by the opposing faction.

https://www.ingress.com/

The drawback of it though is if you live out in the middle of nowhere, it may not be as fun since there are less things to interact with but the game developers make it so you can submit things to add into the game.

If you own a Fitbit, you can also check out FitRPG app. It takes your Fitbit data and translates it to a RPG game. Level up your character, do quests, etc etc.

• lisenden
    Options
    Ingress is intriguing, but I'm one of those who lives in the middle of nowhere. Definitely going to check out FitRPG app!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    HabitRPG works similarly, without the Fitbit. You can set tasks and habits for yourself, and your character levels up as you complete tasks and takes damage when you don't. You can also party up to take on bigger quests for better loot. I personally like it a lot.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I also plan out my play time and save it as a reward for getting my chores/exercise done.

I'm intrigued by the fitness RPGs though...might have to check those out.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Like others have mentioned, I won't game during the week until exercise and other chores are done. It's my "end of the day relaxation" activity.

On the weekends, I may game for a bit in the morning, so I set a time so I have to stop and go do chores, etc.

I also have a "bedtime" alarm set on my phone so that I don't stay up too late at night. Once it goes off, I have to stop gaming and get ready for bed.
  • fizzleh
    fizzleh Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Sold them all
  • twinkles2121
    twinkles2121 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I don't. I just eat in a calorie deficit to lose weight and it works. But if I did want to exercise, I think I would set myself up a rewards system. Tell myself 'no more Civ 5 until I've gone swimming!' or something. Then I'd want to play so bad that I'd go swimming just to kick Alexander the Great's butt with a diplomatic victory.

This is just what I've started doing after all last year fighting on again-off again motivation to get out of my comp chair. It's just easier and less stressful (and less disappointing when I fail to exercise) to eat for the sedentary level.

I admire (and envy) the dedication of those who are able to keep up with exercise as well.
  • lisenden
    Options
    lacroyx, checked out Ingress, pretty cool! We only have three portals in my hometown, but I could do it in the nearby Big City.
  • HunterKiller
    HunterKiller Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I had a problem when i was modding Skyrim. I was getting in from work at 6pm, modding till about 3am, getting up for work at 6.30 rinse and repeat. I did this every day for about 2 months!! I was even using my spare time at work to research what i was going to do next lol
  • ptsmiles
    ptsmiles Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Like what others have said, I make sure I get my exercise and housework done first, then I don't feel so guilty about gaming.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I make a deal with myself. One hour at the gym and then I can play as much Xbox as I want when I get home :)
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I had a problem when i was modding Skyrim. I was getting in from work at 6pm, modding till about 3am, getting up for work at 6.30 rinse and repeat. I did this every day for about 2 months!! I was even using my spare time at work to research what i was going to do next lol

Did you have any mods on Steam Workshop or Nexus? Totally curious if I added any of yours. :D
  • sarieth05
    sarieth05 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Honestly, sometimes I don't leave my gaming to make better choices. :p But like Troutsy, if I'm getting exceptionally bad, I'll make a deal with myself. My last deal I made (not gaming related but could work just as easily for that) was that I had to earn "football credit" by working out. So in order to watch a football game (with an on-demand kind of program), I had to workout and earn my hours for the games to watch. Sometimes when I notice MMOs/games are taking up too much of my time, I will tape some paper on my monitor and can't use it until I workout. Just a friendly reminder to myself when I wake up that I set a goal for myself the night before and should probably not flake out on it.

I mean, if I can easily game for 12 hours in one day, I can find at LEAST 30+ minutes to workout. I just guilt myself into it a lot. XD
  • HunterKiller
    HunterKiller Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    brandiuntz wrote: »

Did you have any mods on Steam Workshop or Nexus? Totally curious if I added any of yours. :D

I have not created any myself just using what other people have put on the Nexus. Christ if i started creating mods myself i'd have even less of a life lol :smile: