Cycling Trip Feb & March

Options
bsexton3
bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
I live in Washington State. I have three weeks the end of February and into March and want to take an inexpensive cycling tour. Does anyone have any good ideas of where I can ride in the Western United States?

Replies

• gdjester1
    gdjester1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I live in the Midwest so I have never actually been on it but a friend of mine rode the Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes in Idaho. The pictures I saw were amazing. One of these days I hope to get out there and ride it.

If you ever get out to Missouri, the Katy trail is an awesome ride. It's 240 miles and pretty much flat the whole way. It goes across the whole state. I ride sections of it all the time.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'd probably do Sadona, AZ, maybe Moab. Feb and March can be nasty in the mountains. I'd stick with deserts.
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I'd probably do Sadona, AZ, maybe Moab. Feb and March can be nasty in the mountains. I'd stick with deserts.
    February/March can be iffy at Moab/Sedona, if you're looking for more stable weather, try Phoenix or Tucson. If you're touring until you get further south, the weather is going to be unpleasant.

I guess it really depends on what type of riding you want, or if you just want an actual tour. If the latter, check out "Crazy Guy on a Bike" for tour reports and then check the weather for where you're thinking.
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    http://www.pineywoodspurgatory.com/

The Pineywoods Purgatory is an actual event in October but I enjoy cycling it during the off months because large crowds really panic me. It's not as much a tour as it is an extremely awesome ride through hills and gorgeous woods and scenary. About 102 miles is the longest and then there are shorter routes.It can get a bit intense depending. I live in the town it starts at and it is very cheap to stay here! Plus, the weather is extremely awesome here. Perfect for bikes!