Geek Dating?

Options

Replies

• triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I was not a geek when I met the hubby but I have always had a thing for smart guys. He got me into playing WoW and I now have more active toons than he does. I went to a scifi speed dating thing as a wing man for my hubby's best friend (female gamer) who was single. It was PHX comicon and I made both our costumes. She said the room was 85% creepers but they had a balance 1 girl per guy so if you are non creeper you would only have 15% competition. The hubby is working on getting me to do table top RPG now but so far I have resisted the call of deepest darkest geekdom
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    I feel like I'm not geeky enough to date a geek boy :( But too geeky to date a jock :(

So not true. One mild mutual geeky interest is usually enough. Or at least that's what I've found.

My husband and I still both game quite a bit, we just don't do the hardcore mmo thing anymore (although we could be classified as hardcore Path of Exile players I guess). It doesn't stop us talking to each other, and there's more interaction than watching a movie together anyway (at least that how we look at it).

That's encouraging :) Know any single 40-something Buffy fans?

NO! You can't has my husband! :p He's a 40-something, and still tells me he'd probably go gay for Spike...

(I should have looked at this thread for replies earlier lol)
  • mangrothian
    Options
    triciab79 wrote: »
    I was not a geek when I met the hubby but I have always had a thing for smart guys. He got me into playing WoW and I now have more active toons than he does. I went to a scifi speed dating thing as a wing man for my hubby's best friend (female gamer) who was single. It was PHX comicon and I made both our costumes. She said the room was 85% creepers but they had a balance 1 girl per guy so if you are non creeper you would only have 15% competition. The hubby is working on getting me to do table top RPG now but so far I have resisted the call of deepest darkest geekdom

Maybe say you'll meet him half way; go for some geeky board games like Munchkin, ticket to ride, Settlers of Catan, etc. I find them more interesting than tabletop RPG'ing anyway.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    triciab79 wrote: »

Oooh, I like those odds! I however would probably feel out of place. I have never participated in one the sci-fi speed dating events at cons I go to but I have seen and talk to friends that have. Majority of the girls in them were early to mid 20's age wise and I being in my mid 30's, would probably be too old.
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I were breaking up, and I told him I really needed to date a geek. He was talking to his friend, mentioned this, and they set me up with her ex-boyfriend. Tada, married a year later. Just getting out there helps. You have to kiss a lot of frogs...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Arthemise1 wrote: »
    My boyfriend and I were breaking up, and I told him I really needed to date a geek. He was talking to his friend, mentioned this, and they set me up with her ex-boyfriend. Tada, married a year later. Just getting out there helps. You have to kiss a lot of frogs...

Your ex boyfriend set you up with your husband? That's pretty cool.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I would suggest going to cons, local DnD groups, comic books stores, etc. More and more girls are going to these kinds of things now.
  • HugoMartinez66
    HugoMartinez66 Posts: 257 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Are the best! All of the things that would make one embarrassed to talk about with others suddenly become deep, silly and fun conversations.
  • rlmiller216
    rlmiller216 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ah, girl nerds - for us the odds are good, but the goods are odd!
  • SonicKrunch
    SonicKrunch Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    That's a good way to put it.
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Ah, girl nerds - for us the odds are good, but the goods are odd!

Couldn't agree with you more. Although I don't doubt that many of us fall into the odd category as well ^_^ I know I sure do.
  • GalactusEmpire
    GalactusEmpire Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of you guys talking about meeting on MMOs. I have done that in the past. Long distance dating can be a true pain. It is the ultimate test of frustration. Don't get involved unless you actually plan on taking it to the next step, otherwise it can be a little unfulfilling.

Geeks, nerds, etc, have always been stereotyped as the antisocial. It isn't always easy. I bet most of us could say they get along better with our PCs or online friends than most people in person. Your best bet is to just put yourself out there.

Of course this advice is coming from a newly single dude who is also in the same market... soo.. every man for himself I suppose.
  • 1talusha
    1talusha Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yeah, coming out of your shell is scary. I'm just taking my first steps....and yeah, it is difficult to find others who are as into Buffy or LOTR, or Star Wars (books and movies, but not necessarily the games) who are also willing to step out into the sunshine and MOVE. It's even harder for those of us who are creeping up on 40. I'm not quite there, but still feel like I have to play catch-up for all the time I was living vicariously through dragon riders and Heralds and Xena.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I play in a LARP, we're definitely outside of the house and roaming around (hitting each other), it really is interesting to see the dynamics of it in place, because you have everyone from those stereotypical shy guys/girls to the loud mouth keyboard cowboys. Sometimes I wonder if we were all terrified at some point to show up. XD
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I'm not a gamer but I would definitely say I'm a geek. I met my boyfriend at a screening of the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary. We didn't hit it off then but I was on okc at that time and specifically searched for guys who are into all things Whedon and metal music. I emailed a guy and we later realized that we'd met before.

Now we geek out together watching Doctor Who, Fringe etc. He is a gamer but he's ok with me not sharing that passion.

I also hang out at the local hackerspace (it's legal!) where I met a guy I was interested in a fair bit. I am also member of a political party that incidentally is full of geeks and nerds ;-) Met a guy there, too. Some of my friends have student jobs at a local computer game company. Sometimes they invite me along to company parties.

Bottom line: join clubs, go to places where geeks hang out. And try online dating.
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    And just a bit about "friendzone" and being "too nice".

Sorry, that's just nonsense. Yes, there are women who like *kitten* and there are guys you like dating mean girls. But MOST people want to date nice folks.

You can't have a spark with everybody who is nice to you. I'm friends with lots of wonderful geek guys with whom I've never had a spark and they had none with me. There's also a guy I was majorly interested in but he "friendzoned" me. But using that word implies that he made a conscious choice of not letting me get into his pants. Also, just because I was nice to him and cooked him food and introduced him to Doctor Who doesn't give me any sort of right to his sexual interest.

By the way, what got me interested in the guy who wasn't interested and then later in my boyfriend was that they are kind and polite and well-spoken and caring and reliable and everything else that constitutes "nice".

So if you haven't found somebody recently, don't blame it on girls "friendzoning" you. Look at yourself. How do you interact with women? Do you get creepy-attached quickly? Or do you freeze and refuse to talk? Do you make eye contact? What about personal hygiene (sorry, but it can be an issue)? Or are your standards unrealistic - if ALL guys only were interested in dating stunningly beautiful fashion models, I'd sure be single. I'd also be single if I insisted on dating a Hugh Jackman lookalike.
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    ^^ This.

There's no such thing as the friendzone, it's just something some butthurt guys made up to keep them from facing the fact that there are girls who don't find them sexually attractive.

Fact of life - someone either wants to have an intimate relationship with a person or they don't. There is no obligation to jump into bed with someone simply because you get on well and have shared interests. Why do people seem to think there is?

It's rather naive to assume that because you (think you) are a reasonable human being, people who like the same things as you should want to date you. It doesn't work like that. And actually, in my experience, people who claim they can't get a date because they are 'too nice' are generally not reasonable human beings - they're usually people who get butthurt and whiny whenever they can't get their own way.

Don't be one of those people - take note of the advice given here, especially by @MikaMojito :smiley:

• anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Best advice I can give is to make sure you truly love yourself and enjoy being alone with yourself before you even attempt to bring someone into your life. Know your insecurities and work on accepting/improving them. This is always harder than it seems though. We don't always want to admit our faults.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    "Nice" is NEVER the reason women decide you're not a great bet for a romantic partner. You might need to do some serious evaluation about your actions and attitudes.

Many of the traits that make people "nerds" are very attractive to a lot of women. Intelligence, curiosity, the ability to develop skills and have interesting things to say, for example.
  • Catintude
    Catintude Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Met my boyfriend through league of legends and been living together for nearly 3 years now :)

Its hard to find love but lots of people do it through games and forums now a days :p just keep trying ^.^