Newbie Question: Way to Record Steps without Syncing

Options
azulvioleta6
azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
Is there a way to keep track of Fitbit steps on MFP without actually syncing the device?

I have an extremely low BMR due to medical issues, so Fitbits calorie-burn calculations are useless to me. I prefer to track exercises myself anyhow. I would just like to record my steps here.

Could someone point me in the right direction? Thank you!

Replies

• myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Can you enter them as manual exercise with zero calories. eg get the info from Fitbit and put it in here since you don't want to sync. Make sure you unlink from Fitbit as well.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So you mean the stat that shows on MFP regarding steps?

Why?

MFP Fitness diary reports are rather lacking, Fitbit's are much better. And steps are already there.

It doesn't display to your wall to friends or anything anyway.

So without them synced, you might check your Check-in page - it may still have the stat of steps.
    But perhaps that only is added if synced. I'm not willing to unsync merely to check.

Also, you can adjust your height on Fitbit so it's using a BMR closer to reality if you have actual medical condition that lowers it and know the lower figure.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    My BMR is about 25% of what it should be for someone my age/size. Adjusting height isn't going to do much, and it would throw off my mileage.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ah, but you set your own stride length manually then.

So is it really just your tested RMR that is lower?

And is that per gender, age, weight, height comparison, or with bodyfat % comparison?

Or have you been shown to burn less daily in general by about 25%?

That almost sounds like the results of undereating, which maxes out at 25% suppression.

This is from the spreadsheet on my profile page, throw this formula in to most spreadsheets, comes from Google sheets and compatible with Excel too.

=if(gender="m",(B21-5-(10*CW)+(5*age))/6.25,(B21+161-(10*CW)+(5*age))/6.25)

Gender is "m" or "f"
    B21 is the measured RMR you want Fitbit to use.
    CW is current weight in kg.
    age is whole years

The result is height in cm to obtain that measured RMR you want to use.

First get your stride length down though.