Why is my FitBit adjustment so high?

Options
13»

Replies

• MoraymaOsborn
    MoraymaOsborn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just set up my Fitbit Charge HR and as soon as I synced it with myfitnesspal it added 900 calories for exercise today, problem is I haven't exercised today or have been active at all. What happened?
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I just set up my Fitbit Charge HR and as soon as I synced it with myfitnesspal it added 900 calories for exercise today, problem is I haven't exercised today or have been active at all. What happened?

Maybe it saw a lot of "steps" earlier in the day, before you got it. On your first day, ignore what it tells you. It doesn't actually have real data to go by.

However, if you haven't already, read the FAQ by heybales. It will help clear up any misunderstandings.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098937/faq-syncing-logging-food-exercise-calorie-adjustments-activity-levels-accuracy/p1
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options

Your Fitbit burn is TDEE—the number of calories to maintain your current weight. The first day, it has to guesstimate your burn since midnight.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

If you look at your Fitbit daily graph per 5 min blocks for steps - there should be none until you used it.
    The graph for calories should show sleeping level calorie burn since midnight, which is not true since you woke up - so you have burn more than that actually.

If those 2 points are true, no steps and sleeping calorie burn (called BMR) - then you might confirm the weight you used both in Fitbit and in MFP.
    One may be wrong though they should sync to each other depending on which was done first.

Because that's a massive difference between Fitbit seen calorie burn it would be reporting to MFP, and what MFP thought you'd burn by your selection of non-exercise activity level.

Usually indicates something wrong.

While Fitbit does estimate your eating goal based on what it thinks you'll burn, and obviously today is going to be wrong, what it reports to MFP would be estimated burn up to whenever it sends the stats over - MFP does the math differently and has a lower daily burn in mind probably.