Dieting on dates?

Options
photo_kyla
photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
How soon into a new relationship do you tell someone about your diet? I'm doing keto, so one "cheat day" can effect me for a week. I met someone today for a first date (coffee and a small lunch) and it just happened to be at a bakery. There was NOTHING on the menu that fit my diet, but I didn't want to be difficult about it... :neutral_face:

Replies

• thadenge
    thadenge Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Personally, if it was me, if you can't really afford a cheat day because of type of diet you're on, tell me upfront about it and I would work around it. If the guy has a real problem with it, then he probably wasn't the right one anyhow. I mean you don't want to end up in a serious relationship with someone who is going to actively fight you on your journey and basically push you to undo everything that you've worked so hard to achieve! I don't consider it being difficult, I consider it being upfront about what's important to you.

Just my personal opinion. :)
  • rlshopp6
    rlshopp6 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This is a dilemma for me too. I try not to talk about dieting ad nauseum, but if we're planning something involving food I check the menu first to make sure there's something there that works for me (i'm eating vegan as a diet, not as an ethical/moral choice). If I feel I could make another suggestion, I'll do that, or I'll just eat before and then only get coffee. But when it's come up on first dates, I'm open about saying what I'm doing, just try not to harp on it. And those dates haven't led to anything more, so maybe it's because they're weirded out by it, or could be something else... so many possibilities as to why one date doesn't go to a second.
  • Follow_me
    Follow_me Posts: 6,120 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time!
  • Belle8312
    Belle8312 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    If I was meeting up with someone at a restaurant or something, I would get the name before hand (mostly since I would be meeting them there) and look up what their menu is. If I found that I couldn't eat anything there, I would let them know hey, I'm living this type of lifestyle and I can't really eat anything there. How about we go....and give a few suggestions for another place. That way you are upfront and honest about it from the start. Like someone said before, if for some reason they aren't good with that, then they are obviously not the right person for you. :smiley:
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Oooh, this reminds me of a dating site I read a online article about. It's premise is on eating. You match up based on having similar food likes. I will see if I can dig up the article later and post it here.
  • lacroyx
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Oh and as for the topic, it would not bother me if she had specific dietary needs as long as she doesn't push it on me. For an example, I could date a vegetarian, but I would not want to give up bacon. If she is cool with that, then awesome! I personally don't have any restrictions except for soda pop. I avoid that. I would work my calories to make sure I am still within my target goals by the end of the week.
  • Follow_me
    Follow_me Posts: 6,120 Member
    Options
    lacroyx wrote: »
    Oooh, this reminds me of a dating site I read a online article about. It's premise is on eating. You match up based on having similar food likes. I will see if I can dig up the article later and post it here.

Considering where I live, I'd love to see that article please.

• lsgibbs83
    lsgibbs83 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    We frequently discuss healthy lifestyle...in fact, we just got off the phone and along with the normal "how was your day dear" stuff and working out possible weather and child related and issues that have the potential to derail our weekend plans, we talked about what we did for exercise today and tossed around a couple of new ideas to shake our routines up a bit.

Of course, it may be different in our case because we already know each other and know that health is a high priority for both of us. We have different thoughts on some things but all in all, it helps to be open without making a big deal of it.

Lastly, I have found that in most cases I can find at least one item on the menu that is a good choice. If all else fails, I order a nice salad with grilled chicken.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    lsgibbs83 wrote: »

Lastly, I have found that in most cases I can find at least one item on the menu that is a good choice. If all else fails, I order a nice salad with grilled chicken.

This usually works for me.

• lacroyx
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Follow_me wrote: »
    lacroyx wrote: »

Considering where I live, I'd love to see that article please.

@Follow_me found the dating site, created a new then closed/deleted the topic, figured it would be better to just contiune the discussion here.
  • lacroyx
    Options
    http://hidine.com/concept

Description from the website:

Meet great people with similar tastes in food. We've all been there. You want veal parm, your date wants pho. You want to eat on the west side, he's eyeing a place downtown. You're thinking gluten-free, he's jonesing for deep dish. Whether you're friends with benefits or happily married, it's no secret you'll spend a significant portion of your time dining with that significant other. Agreeing on a cuisine can be either a nightly source of frustration or a springboard for cultivating a healthy and lasting relationship. So whether it's fine dining or a hole-in-the-wall, a winning first date starts with a glorious restaurant you're both dying to try.
    article-2516983-19C9B44400000578-672_634x484.jpg

Thoughts?
  • dbienz
    dbienz Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have Celiac so my diet is pretty regulated. Its not like I'm picky, I physically cannot eat it. I went on a date with a guy, told him I was gluten free (I'm always up front about that) and he took me to a pizza place. I thought maybe they had gluten free dough and he was being thoughtful? No... There was literally nothing I could eat. He kept telling me, "A couple bites won't hurt you. This whole gluten free thing is just a fad anyway." Yeah... Celiac is a fad... :angry:

Needless to say I never saw him again after that. If you can't respect my diet or lifestyle you don't respect what is important to me. Not a good match.
  • rin1130
    rin1130 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I can never figure out what to order. I'm overweight. When I order a salad (even though I often eat salads), I feel like he is thinking "This chick doesn't just eat salad" lol. But I also don't want to eat something off my diet or that's messy. Also, last time I went on a date, we were supposed to get dinner. I saved some extra calories during the day for it. Then when we got to the restaurant, he said he wasn't hungry. I was starving and annoyed. Then I got drunk because I had a few glasses of wine on an empty stomach. Needless to say, it didn't lead to a second date.
  • TwistedRider
    TwistedRider Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm a little more casual with what I eat. If I'm going out for a meal (I won't say date as they hadn't bend any.) I eat light the rest of that day unless I know what to expect.

But generally I'm happy to eat what I like but don't go silly. May mean a bit more strict for a day or so but not worth ruining a good night over.