Notes from my coach: East Coast Championships

Options
bostonwolf
bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
A note our head coach posted on our FB page.

Just wanted to post something here that I noticed this weekend... and I am sure Coach Katherine can corroborate my story here from the ECCs this past weekend.
My "job" volunteering was more or less being a glorified babysitter and getting each heat of athletes ready and organized to walk onto the competition floor for each workout. It was an extremely easy job, and also gave me the chance to basically creep on everyone for like 10 hours and see how they operate on game day. I was within 10 feet of 30 of the best CrossFitters on planet earth all day long.
I was really hoping to pick up some sort of stretch, or a drill, or helpful cue that could help me as a coach to better help my athletes reach the next level. I assumed these top level Games athletes possessed the key to the castle... (or quite frankly it would have been great to see them all just shooting up steroids for hours so I felt less bad about myself).
But alas..
What I found was pretty eye-opening...
You know what Rich Froning does to warm up?
*kitten* air squats, squat holds, push ups and some rolling on a lacrosse ball.
You know what else he does?
Empty barbell warm up reps. Super basic, nothing fancy. Squats, snatches, and presses.
You know what he had on his table and in his duffel bag? (it was wide open, I did not go snooping like a weirdo)..
Black coffee, bananas, Progenex Recovery, and *kitten* Advocare Spark (fruit punch).
It reminded me that there are no shortcuts, no secret sauce, and no ways to skip levels.
What they do every day is 99% the same that you and I do each week.
Some skill work, some strength work, and CrossFit WODs.
They simply do it at a completely different, genetically-gifted level, with remarkable consistency.
So stay the course, and when your coach asks you to do a bunch of air squats and push ups to get yourself warmed up.. remember that there is a reason we do the basics in that manner.. BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT THE BEST IN THE WORLD DO TOO, AND IT WORKS.