StrongLifts Questions

Options

Replies

• TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    I have the app and the extras, and they're just OK. I wouldn't say I regret buying them, but they're not *amazing* or anything. I do like having the warmup sets.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    crabada wrote: »
    I have the app and the extras, and they're just OK. I wouldn't say I regret buying them, but they're not *amazing* or anything. I do like having the warmup sets.

Yeah this pretty much sums up the extras for me too.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I bought the warm up one, mostly because I was too lazy to look in to what I should be doing for warm ups :p The plate calculator one seems pointless. When you touch the weight, it says how much weight to add to each side. If is says 37.5 lbs per side, I don't need an add on to tell me how to add that up.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    @Mirrim -- You must be better at math than me. I need all the help I can get. That said, I actually can't figure out how the "plate calculator" part of the app works. :)
  • mirrim52
    Options
    @crabada - well, I am a bit of a nerd :p Who knew university math classes would prepare me for lifting? rofl
  • LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I like the warm up sets. Have not bought anything else.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty good with wood working, do you think I could build a power cage?

Yes, yes you can. Mine is wooden (husband made it) and it works great. Plans are from here: http://www.home-gym-bodybuilding.com/homemade-power-rack.html#pdf
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    mirrim52 wrote: »
    I don't need an add on to tell me how to add that up.

eh, he probably put that one in for the [all together now] girls. erryone knows we can't brain like men can.

• Autumnfilly2005
    Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I finally got my barbell today and was fiddling around with it a little. Even though I got a standard bar that is "only" 15lbs, it was still heavier than I expected! I'm really, really glad I stuck with this one instead of going for a full olympic. If I had a full 45lbs olympic, I can almost guarantee that I wouldn't be able to do the exercises. I was also practicing squats today, and my left hip joint popped. Is this common? Are there any exercises I can do to help with flexibility and stuff?
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    @Autumn -- Google "Limber 11," which is a routine that I've seen posted and discussed in other threads here.

I'd also take a few minutes to look at the other threads in this group -- there are a handful of "I'm new and have a question" topics that you might find interesting and helpful. Which certainly isn't to imply that you shouldn't keep asking questions -- definitely ask away! -- but there might be some overlap. :)
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    my left hip joint popped.

did it hurt? most of the time a pop sound is just a tight tendon/ligament twanging itself across to the other side of some little bone lump, with me. if i'm worried about it, i back off a little and take the next rep easy but most of the time there's no further effects.

not sure what you should stretch when it's not clear what muscle the pop might have been coming from. piriformis stretch is always a good one pre-squatting, for what that might be worth. also, the thing where you get down in your deepest squat without any weights, and just hang out down there with your elbows pushing your thighs out to stretch whatever all that stuff is in your inner thighs. i tend to do the heel-to-bum quad thing as well, because in my case overtight/overworked quads put Teh Hurt on my kneecaps until i deal with them.

congrats on your new bar! it's a pretty cool piece of equipment to own, isn't it?
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    congrats on your new bar! it's a pretty cool piece of equipment to own, isn't it?

also, i meant to say, if you've got your bar and you're lifting, it's time to add yourself to the checkin thread ;-) unless you already have and i've missed it - i'm kind of scatty this week.

• Autumnfilly2005
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It doesn't hurt, it feels exactly like I'm cracking my knuckles, only in my hip. It was definitely deep on the inside of my groin where I felt it. I have the bar, but I was going to start the stronglifts Monday, so do I still need to check in?

And yeah, having the bar is pretty cool. I've been trying to practice with an old broom handle so I can concentrate on form. I've never touched a barbell before, so it's neat to have one of my own. I'm looking forward to pushing myself and seeing what I can do!
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    I was going to start the stronglifts Monday, so do I still need to check in?

Go look at the check-in thread. You'll see... :)

• canadianlbs
    Options
    do I still need to check in?

well, it's not a requirement. if i made it sound like that i must have got my tone wrong. i was just trying to convey that having a bar and getting started makes you a Real Lifter now ;-) so you'd fit right in if you felt like posting in there.
    I've been trying to practice with an old broom handle so I can concentrate on form.

there ya go. check-in threadish, 'how's-it-going?' material right there.

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Agreed. It's just a fun, this is what I'm doing type of thread. You don't even have to be doing SL to post, really. You will see some people doing some interesting routines and exercises. :wink: Plus it's good for accountability and motivation.
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Options
    Okay, so I was showing my bar off to my mom, and she tried to do an ohp by basically straight arming it directly over her head. I took the bar back and offered to show her how to do one... while standing under the hanging dining room lights. Thankfully, she stopped me before any damage was done. *cough* Usually I exercise outside, so I wasn't used to watching my overhead clearance!
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Options
    I have another question. This one is definitely female-centric, for and males reading this. Namely: boobies. What do you do with them, especially during bench press and barbell rows? I have a fairly large chest, and they are getting in the way as I'm trying to work out. Any suggestions? Should I be aiming for below the girls on those moves?
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    On those exercises, come up or down to your chest then press away. The nipple line is where you should be aiming the bar.
  • mirrim52
    Options
    Sometimes I feel like I get ripped off having a small chest. I will have to start padding my bra so that I don't have to bring the bar as far. ;)