Options
krknobbe10
krknobbe10 Posts: 110 Member
Hello. So I have been reading up on these 5X5 workouts, my question is how do you do them? Do you take exercises and do your max weight for 5 reps 5 times? Or do you keep increasing weight until you are at your 5th time and can only go 5 reps? Also, what exercises do people use? Do you switch your workout moves during the week? Would just love some information! thanks!

Replies

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 has an app that can help you out with weights and what workout you're doing.

Basically, start with an easy weight (most start with just the 45 pound olympic bar, unless that is too heavy as well) so you can make sure you have the proper form and won't hurt yourself. With that weight, you do 5 reps for 5 sets, totalling 25 reps (except on deadlifts).

The workouts are divided into A and B. You do A one day, B the next time you lift. You want to have one rest day between workout A and B. So for example, you would do Workout A on Monday, Workout B on Wednesday, Workout A on Friday, then start with Workout B on the following Monday.

Workout A
    Squats 5x5
    Bench press 5x5
    Barbell Row 5x5

Workout B
    Squats 5x5
    Overhead press 5x5
    Deadlifts 1x5 (1 set of 5 reps only)

ETA: As you progress, you want to add 5 pounds to your lifts (if you can). Most women invest in fractional plates so you can add only 2.5 pounds to your lifts (if adding 5 isn't going to happen). If you do your workout A and hit all of your reps, the next time you do workout A, you would 5 pounds to each lift.

Example:
    Squats 45x5, 45x5, 45x5, 45x5, 45x5
    Your next lifting day
    Squats 50x5, 50x5, 50x5, 50x5, 50x5
  • krknobbe10
    Options
    Is this a full body workout? I would probably do extra ab things but do you find that you need to add in any extras?
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    krknobbe10 wrote: »
    Is this a full body workout? I would probably do extra ab things but do you find that you need to add in any extras?

It is considered a full body workout. You'd be surprised how many muscle groups you hit doing these five basic moves (abs, biceps, triceps, back, shoulders, glutes, hamstrings, quads). At first, I didn't do anything extra. Now that I've progressed in my lifting and fitness, I've started to add some accessory work. It is not required by any means. HOnestly, I would start with just the core lifts and a little ab work (if you so desire) before adding anything else.
  • krknobbe10
    Options
    What accessory work have you added? I have been lifting for awhile. Just looking to go heavier to get a more toned look.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    um . . . there's lots of info on this kind of thing in this group. why not hang around for a while and do some browsing? you could get to know the members a little bit that way as well.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    Did you read the summary posted in this group? And/or the 5x5 website? All of this is explained in both of those places.
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    For sure get the app, it really helps track your work!
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    Browse existing threads in the group. There are recent threads dedicated to your specific questions.