Did I overtrain on hills?

Options
cococa
cococa Posts: 122 Member
So I moved to the top of a big hill last August, and I've been working really hard on running the hills around here at a good pace. In the beginning, I had to walk them, but now I'm running up and down them (even the long steep hills) without flinching. My problem - when I go run flatter courses with a few small hills, I feel like I'm flying over the hills, but hitting a wall or losing momentum when it flattens out. I suppose I should keep checking in with my nano to see if my pace is actually slowing or if it just feels that way, but I'm not so sure how accurate the "current pace" feature is. Has anyone else experienced this or is it all just in my head?

Replies

• Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I know when I do some serious hill training (normally running real hills in Jamaica, good enough mounts in Birmingham, AL and Cumberland, KY), when I get back to reality (flats), I tear up those flats without a sweat...
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of the "current pace" setting on my Garmin, it seems to jump around A LOT. I set it to "pace last lap" which for my watch is the last mile I ran, I find that is a more accurate number. The feeling of slowing down when you get tot he flat happens, you are right in wanting to look at an actual device to see if you are actually slowing down.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of the "current pace" setting on my Garmin, it seems to jump around A LOT. I set it to "pace last lap" which for my watch is the last mile I ran, I find that is a more accurate number. The feeling of slowing down when you get tot he flat happens, you are right in wanting to look at an actual device to see if you are actually slowing down.

Agree, but I use current lap. I usually give it 30 seconds to settle before I believe it.
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I also prefer the current lap pace.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Current lap here to.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I used to run a lot of hills. Never had that problem. In fact, I felt like the effect was the opposite. I greatly increased my lung capacity huffing and puffing up those hills and it seemed to transfer over.