What to you read or what do you watch for inspiration?

Options
Usually my writing improves when I read certain books or watch certain shows and movies...so my question for you is....where do you get your inspiration?

Replies

• JulesAtkinson1
    JulesAtkinson1 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I like to read a variety of styles: Southern Gothic (nobody does this better than Faulkner or O'Connor), mystery/thriller/ classic. I also try to fit in at least one non-fiction such as biography or history. I also subscribe to Writer's Digest, just for tips, tricks, and very informative articles on the industry as well as famous writers/authors (I'm not sure I know the difference).

If I had to pick a favorite, I'd be hard-pressed, as I'm sure most reader/writers would be.

Currently, I am listening to "On the Road", by Jack Kerouac on Audible. I am reading "Huckleberry Finn" by Mark Twain for a book club, and just finished "Light in August" by William Faulkner. I have downloaded "Child of God" by Cormac McCarthy to read next, but I have been warned it is a rather gruesome read.
  • Getting7here
    Getting7here Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I find my writing improves if I read something that has an unusual or old fashioned use of language. A couple of examples that come to mind are reading the Complete Sherlock Holmes, and also anything by Edgar Allan Poe or HP Lovecraft.
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    lately i've been writing short stories about my cats and dog. they're better than it sounds. they're funny and the animals swear a lot and talk frankly. so my inspiration has been things that they do. my latest one is the dog talking to one of the cats about how she gets to go to work and the cat doesnt. again, its funnier than it sounds lol. see, the dog gets to go to work with me, and one of the cats is a little perturbed about this. the cat will sit by the door and try and get out when we leave for work in the morning. it turned out to be a pretty funny story, if i dont say so myself. :)