GPS Accuracy

Options
SonicDeathMonkey80
SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
So, I just finished a half marathon today. I started the GPS on my phone via Endomondo, and it was a little ways before the actual start line. Anyway, I'm having a first-world problem figuring out if my new PR [chip time] of 1:45 is good, or my GPS time of 1:30, or possibly somewhere in between. I know some courses have discrepancies with GPS, but this seems rather large and I'm inclined to blame my phone's GPS. Anyone else have this problem with a phone's GPS or a standalone GPS? Anyhow, I'm satisfied with just breaking the 2hr mark either way, and had a lot of fun!

Replies

• DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I usually assume chip time is the most accurate unless there is a discrepancy in course length.
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I've never used Endomondo but I have done runkeeper on my phone and the GPS was spotty at best once I strayed off the main roads. My garmin is far more accurate. I would go with the chip time since hopefully the course was properly measured.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the PR. I'd go with chip time 15 minutes is a big gap. Hard to believe any course would be that far off
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    GPS measures distance. Not time. I don't understand the time difference? Unless you're saying that endomondo said you ran 13.1 after 1:30 even though you were still running the race? If it was a certified race course, your chip time is what counts.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    Well, Endomondo said I ran 15.1 in 1:49, and my gun time was right around there too, so I know that was accurate at least. I started the app well before the actual start line (started at the gun). It was a trail marathon and I never lost GPS. The biggest thing I learned is that I'm no longer a 9/9:30 pace group, and I wasted a lot of energy shuffling through the groups to get where I actually belonged. I did a tune-up run a few weeks ago and was a 2:04, but I've been more active on my bike per advice from someone on here, and that really helped!
  • phooey43
    phooey43 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think phone gps can be spotty at times. Earlier this year after 2 minutes into the Yakima Canyon Marathon my nike+ app told me I had just completed my 1st mile ( I hadn't) and was off throughout the run saying i had hit 26 miles when in reality i still had a couple of miles to go.. Definitely go with the chip time since the course is set and timing starts when you hit the line I use both a garmin and phone app when I run. Congrats by the way on your pr!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    At a race, it's chip time that matters.

Phone GPS is not as accurate as a Garmin.

Start your GPS when you cross the start mat, not at the gun.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    At a race, it's chip time that matters.

Phone GPS is not as accurate as a Garmin.

Start your GPS when you cross the start mat, not at the gun.

^^ This
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Definitely go with your chip time - congrats on your PR!

I also always start my timer (in my case my Garmin) when I cross the start line, not when the gun goes off. Depending on the size of the race, it could be quite a while until you reach the start!
  • DavidMartinez2
    Options
    On a different forum I saw someone recommend setting your GPS in the backyard, start it up, then go to bed. In the morning go back and see what distance it displays.
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I usually assume chip time is the most accurate unless there is a discrepancy in course length.

yes, that.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    On a different forum I saw someone recommend setting your GPS in the backyard, start it up, then go to bed. In the morning go back and see what distance it displays.

I have done this. It said I had traveled almost 3/4 a mile in almost two hours while lying on a blanket in the shade, all but asleep.

I still use my Runkeeper app but I do not regard it as accurate for pace, only time. Since I know the length of the trails I run, it is not too big a deal. It just bugs me!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper once told me I covered 14 miles (I ran 4.3) at an astounding average pace of 4:10, I even ran a few sub 2:00 miles. I was highly impressed since I usually run 11-12 min miles. Then I saw the map. It showed I was leaping people's homes in a single bound, running across major highways (several times), I even ran through the high school and across a couple bodies of water. It was an impressive route and an Olympic caliber run. I keep that in my runkeeper just so I can remember what I can really do if I work hard enough.

My Garmin shows that I travel about 1 mile an hour while it's sitting in a window. GPS is not perfect. Certified race course is what counts.
  • miguelrunner
    miguelrunner Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Congrats on PR!

Really quick question: where OTHER runners scratching their heads looking at their chip time? If not, then it's Endomondo.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    I always trust my chip time, and this trail is in the heart of Deadwood, where reception might not have always been good. Now that I know GPS isn't as accurate as previously thought, I need to figure out a way to log accurate miles so I can get into the 1:30's. Unfortunately, I can't stick to a planned route. I'm too scatterbrained. And I get bored running the same route every day. I think I'm ready to step up my casual running game into something a little more substantial like 40mi/wk.

Do y'all just run for X amount of mins and map the distance when you get home? Trust your GPS only for training purposes? Run the same memorized, tried and true routes?
  • algebravoodoo
    Options
    I always trust my chip time, and this trail is in the heart of Deadwood, where reception might not have always been good. Now that I know GPS isn't as accurate as previously thought, I need to figure out a way to log accurate miles so I can get into the 1:30's. Unfortunately, I can't stick to a planned route. I'm too scatterbrained. And I get bored running the same route every day. I think I'm ready to step up my casual running game into something a little more substantial like 40mi/wk.

Do y'all just run for X amount of mins and map the distance when you get home? Trust your GPS only for training purposes? Run the same memorized, tried and true routes?

There are so few SAFE routes here that we have little choice but use the tried and true for most of our training. I cannot stand running in little circles on a track either. I've got a measured 1.5 mile, 2.0 mile, 3.1 mile, 3.75 mile and 6.2 mile courses to choose from and just make multiple laps to get longer distances. They all have hills and flats, but some are dirt, others roadway.

BTW I define SAFE as I do not have to dive into a ditch to dodge cars nor do I need to shoot anyone's dog because they are too used to pepper spray!
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

In training, there are very few times when pace and distance matter. In order to improve as a distance runner, you need to build your aerobic engine by running easy miles (75% to 85% of MHR) over time. So, using a good old digital watch to see how long you have been running at that easy, conversational pace is really all you need. Now, when you get into specific pace workouts like a tempo run or fartlek, then you'll need an GPS to depend on. It's been well established over time that Garmin GPS watches manufactured specifically for running are far more accurate than using an app that leverages the GPS functionality on your phone.

Personally, I use my GPS watch every day, but I'm not watching pace unless it's a workout. My easy runs range between 10:30 and 8:45 pace depending upon how I feel that particular day.
  • DavidMartinez2
    Options
    I have a friend who obsesses over every .1 difference between his Garmin readout and the distance a race is supposed to be (he is still complaining about a half marathon 6 months ago that Garmin had at 13.25). I will tell you the same thing I tell him: "Garmin lies, the important thing is that it lie consistently"
    As Carson already pointed out Garmin is generally considered the most accurate method unless you plan on running with a measuring wheel.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    I have a friend who obsesses over every .1 difference between his Garmin readout and the distance a race is supposed to be (he is still complaining about a half marathon 6 months ago that Garmin had at 13.25). I will tell you the same thing I tell him: "Garmin lies, the important thing is that it lie consistently"
    As Carson already pointed out Garmin is generally considered the most accurate method unless you plan on running with a measuring wheel.

Tell him that if he had run proper tangents, he would have recorded a distance that was closer to 13.1. :)

Also, with a certified course measurement, they build in a margin of error by adding a bit to each mile to make sure that it is definitely not under and they also measure the shortest possible distance one could possibly take around the course. So, you should never have a HM come up as exactly 13.1 if it was certified. The measurement process is details on the USATF website.
  • algebravoodoo
    Options

At least everyone had to run the same extra distance between start and finish.