Rowing Intervals

Options

Replies

• ashleearoha
    ashleearoha Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Haha I would probably buy some and never wear them too.
  • Curlychip
    Curlychip Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I love rowing but running is a real struggle for me. I also don't like upside down stuff!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    So now you know the things you should be working on at least once a week.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Or you can simply recognize that you're not going to be amazing at everything and realize that is perfectly fine. You don't always have to work your weaknesses just because someone says you should.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    ^true. But those two (IMO) are kind of fun to work on :)

I can do walk walks like a champ but I haven't tried a handstand on the wall in a while. Might be time to get over myself.
  • leahkite
    leahkite Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I love rowing! I hate wallballs, I just feel awkward and really struggle to get a rhythm going. However I have focused primarily on Met-Con and not so much Power-Strength stuff at this point, so I'm generally not faced with things such as HSPU's because I don't like them either.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    ^are you tall? Rowing and wallballs both favor us tall people, so I'm just curious.
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    bostonwolf wrote: »
    ^are you tall? Rowing and wallballs both favor us tall people, so I'm just curious.

This explains why they're basically the only two movements where I don't feel like a total noob :D
  • Curlychip
    Options
    Im short and I like rowing and wall balls :p
  • leahkite
    Options
    I'm 5'6", so not tall but not short either. I feel like my hand and wrist strength is lacking some, catching the ball off the wall seems to be the challenge for me.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    leahkite wrote: »
    I'm 5'6", so not tall but not short either. I feel like my hand and wrist strength is lacking some, catching the ball off the wall seems to be the challenge for me.

I have found the target version (like on the Rogue racks) make my throws more consistent which make the catches easier. I’m hoping I can eventually translate that to a regular wall, where I focus on one spot on the wall when I throw each time. Hitting a different spot means a different downward path.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    kozinskey wrote: »

This explains why they're basically the only two movements where I don't feel like a total noob :D

There is a reason (amongst the men) that you don't see many elite, competitive crossfitters over 6' tall. Rich Froning is pretty much the ideal blend of strength and conditioning at about 5'10 185. For me to mirror his body type at 6'3, I'd weight about 220. That's 35 more lbs I'd have to schlep around while doing bodyweight movements and 5 more inches the bar has to travel on any overhead barbell movement.

• bostonwolf
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Curlychip wrote: »

You can like them all you want, but on the mean tall people will find them easier. :)

For example. I weight about 290lbs. I'm strong but I have a lot of work to do before I'd be anywhere near what I'd consider to be "in shape."

My PR for a 500m row is about 1:30. The only thing keeping it from being faster is my cardio conditioning. I can maintain a 1:20 pace for about 45 seconds, then I'm just holding on for dear life the rest of the way.

I also have the benefit of a wife who rowed at Syracuse, so my form is pretty efficient. Having long arms and legs lets you create a huge amount of power on the rower. Shorter folks can also excel but it's much harder for them.

The US Mens 8 Olympic rowing team runs 6'5, 6'2, 6'7, 6'6, 6'9, 6'5, 6'5, 6'4.
  • bostonwolf
    Options

This is true for anyone. I'm good for a while but if we're doing Karen, at some point I'm using mostly my left hand (dominant hand) to get it up there, like shooting a 20 lbs basketball
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    The most efficient way of catching the ball is in exactly the same position you would throw it from ie. having to shuffle it into position after the catch is not efficient. We've had them as a skill session sometimes and it's actually really difficult to catch them right. And yeah, for short people you have to either throw the ball up harder which loses some accuracy or you have to actually squat jump which will burn out your legs much faster. Definitely not fun.
  • leahkite
    Options

This is true for anyone. I'm good for a while but if we're doing Karen, at some point I'm using mostly my left hand (dominant hand) to get it up there, like shooting a 20 lbs basketball

It's so nice to hear I'm not the only one feeling like they are shooting an overweight basketball! I've never seen the target on the racks before. Our box is pretty compact; so always are throwing against the wall.

• Curlychip
    Options
    We throw above a line on the wall (there a slightly higher one for men) - its pretty high though! Karen was tough, especially with all the squats, but I did it in rounds of 7 which seemed to suit me as I burn out fast without a short break.
  • Curlychip
    Options
    Curlychip wrote: »

You can like them all you want, but on the mean tall people will find them easier. :)

The US Mens 8 Olympic rowing team runs 6'5, 6'2, 6'7, 6'6, 6'9, 6'5, 6'5, 6'4.

Lol! I often notice that when we are warming up - everyone else seems to be rowing a lot slower than me to reach the same distance!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Being stronger and relatively tall (5’11”), I do a 1-2-1 cadence with a very hard pull (breathing out), sit in the back position for a breath in and out, then move forward (breathing in). It comes out to about 19 rpm. Whereas when I first started, I was at 33 to 35 rpm. The stronger pulls and letting the flywheel spin for a second or so gives me a lot more distance for less energy output.