Race separation question

Options
So I'm planning to use a marathon plan at the moment, aiming to finish it around the beginning of June, then broadly hold training volume through until October. In terms of planning I've got a trail marathon that I want to do in August.

There's a trail half that lands three weeks before that, where it looks as if I'd normally be on the last of my 20mile LSRs.

Any thoughts on how best to approach that? Relinquish the LSR for the race, or swap the LSR session with something that's HM distance in the plan?

Thanks

Replies

• CallMeRuPaul
    CallMeRuPaul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I would run 7 easy miles that evening so that you get 20 or so miles for the day.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Do you want to 'race' the half as hard as you can, or do you just want to run it for fun because it'll be a nice race? If you really want to race it, accept that you'll miss the LSR and just do the race. If you just want to do it, or maybe do a bit of it at marathon pace/effort, then warm up for 3 miles beforehand and cool down for 3 miles afterwards.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The main thing is not putting my first marathon at risk, although my target race is in October; Salisbury to Winchester. So in that sense I'll probably run it rather than race it, although once it starts I'm less thatn convinced that instinct won't take over.

It's near Blandford Forum, so quite undulating, the marathon is Salisbury so slightly less aggressie terrain.

Should probably clarify, that's two HMs, May and July, then two Marathons, August and October
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    If you race it, you could put your first (August) marathon at risk of not full performance. I don't think it will stop you finishing though. Definitely won't put your target marathon at risk though.
  • vcphil
    vcphil Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You can do the 20 miles 4 weeks before..or turn the 1/2 into a 20 miler with a warm up & cool down