Season 2 - Team 1

Options
akenesson
akenesson Posts: 88 Member
Please use this forum for basic for basic introductions, chit chat, and discussion on what your team name will be! N.B. Once you have decided on your team name, feel free to make a topic with that name as the subject, and I will "sticky" it and delete this one"

Replies

• akenesson
    Options
    H'yello everyone! First and foremost, thank you for joining up... Last "season" was a pretty good success, and I'm excited to get started with this one! (We missed first place by only 4 pounds last time, and I'm considering this my rematch! =)

A bit about me:
    I'm 31 years old, and I'm just sick and tired of being overweight... I've been on MFP before, and its worked... well... I've lost upwards of 30 pounds before... But between losing my job and some other "personal life" woes I've fallen off the bandwagon and gotten it all back... Its taken me this long to realize that eating isn't the answer either...

I've been unemployed for about 9 months now, and its taken a huge toll on my self-esteem, which, since I'm here, means you can probably guess that I use food as my coping mechanism... But I'm ready for (and I need it) to stop... Health problems are right around the corner for me, and I can't let that happen... Anyway...

Some lessons I learned from doing this last season:
    We're all going to make mistakes and have bad weeks, they key is to 1) get back "on the bandwagon" after you do fall, and 2) have team members actively trying to keep each other honest!
    Communication keeps me motivated, it helps me revel in my successes, and gives me support when I fail

Any ideas on a team name?
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Linda from Southwestern Michigan. I am 63 and I retired last June after 40 years of teaching vocal music. I was a physical wreck at that point - couldn't stand up straight, high blood pressure, morbidly obese, and prediabetic.

I have spent the last year working on my health and fitness. Right now I do water aerobics 5 days a week and also one class of Yoga per week. I also have joined several challenges in the 4 months I have been on MFP and like to work to group challenges. I am almost out of the morbidly obese category, I can now walk a mile and my doctor is no longer threatening me with blood pressure medicine.
    I'm enthusiastic and looking forward to this challenge!! As for a name how about the "Hustlers". I can't wait to hear you suggestions!!!
  • akenesson
    Options
    Welcome, and your making the right move and taking the right steps...

Over the past 3 months, I've developed panic attacks, which included a mini-stroke scare, and a heart attack scare... While luckily, it was just the "panic" acting... It really opened my eyes to how close I am to this kind of thing for real... I've already been diagnosed at hyperglycemic, with high cholesterol, and very high blood pressure (170/100 for those who know)... Type 2 diabetes runs DEEP in my family, as does heart problems...

Forgive the grim-ness, but it made me realize that quite literally, I am killing myself by being this overweight, and by using food as my coping mechanism... I've always thought it was better that "other" things... but, now I realize it's none the less deadly...

Point is, I share your pain, fears, and motivation to get this done and as one of our heaviest people on our team, I don't want to let us down!
  • lintino
    Options
    I can understand your health fears. The chronic diseases can make our lives miserable and if we can do something to avoid them we should. Together we will be strong!!!
  • mrty953
    mrty953 Posts: 26
    Options
    Just wondering why I did not see my name on any team , I thought I had joined the challenge but guess I didn't. Oh well good luck all who are competing.
  • akenesson
    Options
    Not too late, I can add you in! Sign up on the signup topic of the group! (Its probably on page 2 now)
  • shuki_cotren
    shuki_cotren Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Hey Team!
    My name is Amy and I'm a 26 year old, first time mom (I have a 9 month old baby girl). I quit my job to stay at home with her for awhile because she was born with 2 heart defects (PDA and a medium hole in her heart called an ASD). She has had 2 surgeries so far in her little life and it has been very stressful on both me and my husband. She also has eating/appetite problems so it is a struggle every day to make her eat enough and gain weight.

So while I try desperately to get my little one to gain weight, I am trying my hardest to lose weight. I want to enjoy life as much as possible- and I want to feel good, feel like I can run down the street and find freedom and peace with each movement. I've been overweight since middle school (always weighed around the same, around 180-185 throughout high school, college, up until my pregnancy). After having my baby I instantly lost tons of weight and then gained it back (we were living with our in-laws and the food was stocked with every junk food imaginable). So I peaked at 211 back in Jan 2013 and so far I have lost 27 lb with tracking and exercise (first 3 months I did online weight watchers, but lost motivation after just 1 month). I love MFP because of the friends and the motivation.

Please friend me, message me, write on my profile, help me do whatever it takes to reach my goal, and I will do the same for you! :)
  • shuki_cotren
    shuki_cotren Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Ideas for group name? I like the idea above, Hustlers. Here's a few more ideas:

1. Humdingers
    2. Highflyers
    3. Highflying Humdingers
  • akenesson
    Options
    Sounds like we all have some heavy shiiiituff impacting our lives... I make this promise to you... no matter what happens Ill try my best to keep a smile on my face, to put one on yours, and get us focused on our goals... If only youll do the same for me... I've been known to fall off for a week or too... And I could use the help...

Positivity > Negativity any day...
  • jbirdica
    jbirdica Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My name is Jessica and I am 26 years old. I was always on the bigger side of the BMI when I was growing up but never overweight until I had my child. I ended up getting up to 240 pounds on a 5’2” frame. That was 5 years ago and I have struggled to lose the weight ever since. I did however make it down to 190 back in 2011 and then gained 20 pounds back in 2012 as I had a horrible year. Anyway here I am trying to be healthy so I can play with my little man. I also have knee problems and I know when this weight is gone that will be better too! Thanks for listening and we got this team! I am good with whatever name you guys want…. Not picky :)
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Hello team!! I'm so excited to be starting this journey with you all. I've been out of town, but I'm back now and ready to get back in the healthy swing of things. Thanks for sharing all of your personal stories. :flowerforyou:

I'm 27, and just beginning my career in education. Things have picked up significantly on the work end of things and I've spend the last couple days just preparing all my documentation for employment. I've very excited. I've been on MFP since early 2010, and have lost 20-ish lbs over the years. I've lost a total of about 70 lbs since high school. I'm glad I've been on a steady decline, but I really just want to kick the final 30-40 lbs off and be DONE WITH THEM! I typically eat healthy, but I have a mega sweet tooth that always gets me.

I'm currently 178.4 lbs and excited to get (re-)PAST my lowest ever calculated weight of 168.8. I've been bouncing between 172 and 178 all year... LET'S DO THIS!!!

"H" group names seem to be popular here. If combine Linda's and Amy's choices, we'd be "Highflying Hustlers" or "Hustling Humdingers". :laugh: The latter has a nice ring to it.
  • lintino
    Options
    I like the sound of "Hustling Humdingers" - nice alliteration!! :wink:
  • akenesson
    Options
    Sorry I've been away... I got a new job! Its really just going from unemployed to underemployed... but Its still a refreshing, needed change of p(l)ace!

Remember, "Week 0" weigh ins are tomorrow (Monday)!
  • lintino
    Options
    Congratulations on the new job!! :drinker: It should give you some breathing room. Good luck on finding the perfect job!
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Way to go akenesson!!! Congrats!
  • akenesson
    Options
    Thanks guys, its just hourly work, but pays well... for hourly work... and while its a step back for me (retail management) its something I know I'm good at...

Hopefully it will replace my recent depression as a motivator to eat... But now I just have to avoid eating out every day =)