I've been waiting years for this

Options
DanOhh
DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
Years ago, I dropped "Storm of Swords" on the floor, stared blankly at all the people around me and cursed George R R Martin's name. Now all of you all know why...

Replies

• Banannafish512
    Banannafish512 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    How did you feel about some of the changes? Even with some of the changes, that emotional punch was still there.

I thought the last scene was fantastically acted. Michelle Fairley whom I've always loved just blew it out of the water.

I wonder if a lot of the nonreaders will drop the show out of frustration :/
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I've come to except the changes that have been made w/the show. It still keeps me guessing how they're going to work out certain stories. BUT, I do have to say I was hoping that Talisa Maegyr/Jeyne Westerling would not have been at the "Red Wedding" so they could keep the mystery if she is really pregnant or not. So, I'm assuming in the books she's not pregnant so there must be no heir.

It was so weird to watch because a part of me was so happy to get the scene to play out, finally, but at the same time it was still a punch to the gut.

Also, I was disappointed that Great Jon Umber disappeared from the show. This would have been his big moment trying to protect the Starks.

On a final note, it was nice see Ser Wendel Manderly (the big guy with the curly mustache and merman sigil) behind Robb during the wedding and know how that impacts things to come.
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    It was quite disturbing (and senseless) that they had Talisa present. Wasn't crazy about that. I guess they wanted to make sure the scene was as horrible for the non-book-readers as it was for those of us who read it.

The part with Arya meeting eyes with the dying Grey Wind was powerful; it pretty much summed up all the loss and cruelty she has experienced regarding her family.

Apart from the horrifying wedding, the parts with Bran etc. and Jon with the wildlings were pretty great.
  • smmadsen
    smmadsen Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am new to the post. My husband and I have been GOT fans for the past 2 years. Neither of us read past the first book mostly because we have four kiddos and decided we wanted to use the show as time together each week.

Wow! last night blew us away! Sometimes I watch it twice in a row to get my teeth into it but I could not last night.

We were talking during the show and kept feeling like something was going to happen especially with Arya so close to reaching family again.
    As soon as I heard the music and the doors closed I knew something was up. I could not believe what was up though!!!!
    It was horrific.
    We both had a hard time sleeping after.
    I stayed up to read twitter blogs from Michelle Fairley and Richard Madden.
    I loved hearing the story of him leaving the set after shooting and crying like a baby on the plane back to London.
    I can't wait till next week.
  • zteven82
    zteven82 Posts: 13
    Options
    Yeah I read the books a couple years back...

I had never experienced anything like this before. I was a Stark fan for sure and even though Robb was losing his army, I thought somehow he would avenge Ned. I had to reread the chapter because I couldn't believe he died.

The worst part for me was sewing Grey Wind's head on Robb's corpse :(.
  • smmadsen
    smmadsen Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I think now that I am familiar with the characters I will go back and read the books. I have usually always preferred the books to movies or show versions. I have fallen in love with all the characters so now I can picture their faces when I read about them.
    It will be good timing since this week is the last episode for awhile.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The part with Arya meeting eyes with the dying Grey Wind was powerful

Grey Wind???

I'm pretty new to this. I'm about 250 pages into A Clash of Kings and about to finish the last two episodes of season 2, but I like spoilers so I know about The Red Wedding (and some of what comes later), but I didn't know about Grey Wind. That just broke my heart.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I think now that I am familiar with the characters I will go back and read the books. I have usually always preferred the books to movies or show versions. I have fallen in love with all the characters so now I can picture their faces when I read about them.
    It will be good timing since this week is the last episode for awhile.
    I'm watching and reading together (though by the time I get to see season three, I'll probably be done with the available books). I had a tough time getting into the first book before I watched the show, but they've done a great job with the show compared to the books.