Stinky Breath!

Options
boomerkae
boomerkae Posts: 217 Member
The last couple days, I feel like my teeth always have a film or feel yucky, and my breath isn't all that nice.

I've been drinking more milk, so trying to figure out if this is due to diet, something else I'm doing, or perhaps ketosis?

Anyone else experience this?

Replies

• mfpdevotee
    Options
    could be ketosis...do you have and lactose intolerence issues? could be an oxalate thing also..are you eating any beets, spinach, rhubarb, strawberries, nuts, chocolate, tea, wheat bran?..
  • boomerkae
    Options
    Most of my protein powders or drinks have chocolate in them, so that's not a change. Nothing else on the list but strawberries, and that's been maybe one or two if dmall every other day for a few. What would they be doing to me?
  • mfpdevotee
    Options
    oxalates leave your teeth fuzzy...the oxalates crystals in those foods leach out of them when you chew them up and then they coat the teeth! i only notice it with spinach..
  • boomerkae
    Options
    I would think that would happen right after, but this is almost all the time!
  • boomerkae
    Options
    Should note I tried looking around the Internet, signs point to ketosis and perhaps dehydration. Was curious to see if it'd happened to anyone else.
  • readallday
    readallday Posts: 173 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Me! My NUT said ketosis is to blame and there's not much to do but pop sugar free mints, drink lots of water and keep toothbrush handy.
  • weeziebeth
    weeziebeth Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Parsley is a natural breath freshener that is really quite effective-I found it works pretty well in ketosis.
  • Sammers48220
    Sammers48220 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Ketosis definitely causes bad breath - I experienced it with every low carb diet I tried. Parsley is good, and there are new studies out that say a compound in green tea can neutralize it too. Although I think it equates to drinking seven cups a day, which I know is more green tea than I can handle.
  • boomerkae
    Options
    Me! My NUT said ketosis is to blame and there's not much to do but pop sugar free mints, drink lots of water and keep toothbrush handy.

Thanks! Nice to know (I think) that perhaps I'm in ketosis. I did buy some sugar free gum this weekend. Assuming we can chew gum...
  • amylhatch5
    amylhatch5 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    This happened to me especially post op for the first few weeks. I figured it was because of dehydration. My mouth was very dry, filmy teeth, and bad breath. Yuck. I ate breath mints and brushed teeth often. Now it doesn't happen hardly at all.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    When I did a search this is something that I read:
    Dry mouth. This occurs when the flow of saliva decreases and can be caused by various medications, salivary gland problems or continuously breathing through the mouth. Without enough saliva, food particles are not cleaned away. If you suffer from dry mouth, your dentist may prescribe an artificial saliva, or suggest using sugarless candy or increase your fluid intake.
    http://www.doctoroz.com/blog/jonathan-b-levine-dmd/battling-bad-breath
  • homerismyhero
    homerismyhero Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Probably ketosis- I had it bad and my sister kindly rolled down the windows of the car and asked me if I had eaten a *kitten* sandwich for lunch....those Listerine strips that disolve in your mouth saved my life....
  • amylhatch5
    Options
    Try some dry mouth mouthwash also. There is a special kind you can get.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Probably ketosis- I had it bad and my sister kindly rolled down the windows of the car and asked me if I had eaten a *kitten* sandwich for lunch....those Listerine strips that disolve in your mouth saved my life....
    Could you smell it yourself?!?

• homerismyhero
    homerismyhero Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Honestly- my husband has diabetes and has it often- so I think I just assumed it was him- he's been known to stink up a room in many ways. It stopped happening maybe a month or two after surg.
  • amylhatch5
    Options
    When I had it, I literally could smell it myself. I was really self-conscience about it.
  • boomerkae
    Options
    So I'm totally normal with the stink breath. Man, they need to cover this more in the handbook.

I can smell/taste it and when I mentioned it, hubby confirmed it. :(