Foam Rolling and Stretching-

Options
pimpin_po
pimpin_po Posts: 120 Member
I usually do a brief set of stretches for maybe 5 minutes before I run. Then I run. When I get home, I roll my feet out with a frozen water bottle ... then I foam roll .... then I static stretch.

I was reading today that some people foam roll before going on a run? Does anyone here foam roll before running and if you do, do you find it beneficial?
What does your stretch & rolling routine look like and when does it take place?

Replies

• poke987
    poke987 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I wish I could motivate myself into a real stretching and rolling routine. I know it's beneficial, I just can't seem to make it habit. Hubby rolls, I've tried to roll before or after him, but he doesn't do it at a set time or what not... so life seems to get in the way more often than not.
  • GreatCthulhu
    GreatCthulhu Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I don't roll, wouldn't even know where to begin. I don't often stretch either, I warm up by walking, jogging then sprinting and back to walking. I finish off with a walk as well. Mayve I should look into proper warm up and cool downs. The C25K just had a 5 min walk at the start...
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    No point in static stretching before a run, all that does is increase the injury risk.

For a steady paced run I'll switch on my Garmin and run, it takes me ten to fifteen minutes to relax into the session anyway.

For a workout I'll warm up with about 10 minutes of 6min/km before the intervals or tempo session, then cool down again for the same amount of time.

I'll generally do static stretches afterwards, the evidence is inconclusive on the value but I feel better afterwards.

I sometimes use a roller, but not particularly religious about it.
  • pimpin_po
    pimpin_po Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Okay, just wondering what it looked like for everyone else :)

@MeanderingMammal‌ I don't do static stretches before running and probably should have used the term "warm up" instead. I haven't started tempo sessions yet, they're very intimidating to me for some reason haha. Do you like them? Do you find them to be beneficial for your running?

I am avid about foam rolling and stretching because I got runner's knee in both knees last year. Truth be told, I hate having to do extra stuff before and after runs but if it keeps me from injuring myself then it's a necessary evil. I do miss "just running".
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I don't mind too much tempo sessions. My easy pace is 6min/km and the challenge I'm finding now is slowing down. Tempo sessions are at 5:15-5:30min/km and I can comfortably maintain that for an hour now.

Interval sessions are painful, I struggle to maintain my 400m intervals, getting those down to 4:30min/km is really hard. Sessions at 200m are a bit easier at that pace. Together they do make a difference though.

I got ITB Syndrome at my HM in October, largely as a result of ramping up my distance too quickly following some medical treatment that reduced my training volume. For that, the answer was improving glute and core strength.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I do a 5 minute warm-up walk before running (and at least 5 minutes walking after running.) I am sporadic with stretching after runs. I always feel better when I do stretch, but I don't always make time for it.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I foam roll before long runs on the weekends and before races. I find it helps "warm-up" the muscle. I also dynamic stretch before a run. During the week, I foam roll afterwards to help release any tight spots.

I do static stretching after runs. I'm consistent with it all, as I quickly have issues with my IT band or knees if I don't. Some may be an age thing. I'm in my 40's and have noticed a stronger need for proper warm-ups since passing 40.
  • poke987
    poke987 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I really wish I could find the motivation. I know it would be good for me...
  • FireStorm1972
    FireStorm1972 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    I foam roll for 15 mins before and after my runs , no matter how they are.