Fasting Cost on a Budget?

Options
So I've heard from one person that their juicing cost per week was around $100 (~$15/day). And I've been increasingly wanting to try the fast. Only problem is, my husband and I's budget is $70/week for BOTH of us. Would it even be possible to do a juicing fast on this budget, especially if my husband wanted to do it with me?

Any advice would be great!

Replies

• Golightly17
    Golightly17 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I think it's totally possible. Buy in bulk- especially great because juicing uses so much produce and it really won't be wasted if you and your hubby are juicing. Also, produce is relatively inexpensive compared to poultry, seafood etc. The best deals I've found are at weekend farmer's markets and Sprouts. I have heard Sam's Club is good too. Hope that helps!
  • penguinattackstudios
    penguinattackstudios Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I think it's totally possible. Buy in bulk- especially great because juicing uses so much produce and it really won't be wasted if you and your hubby are juicing. Also, produce is relatively inexpensive compared to poultry, seafood etc. The best deals I've found are at weekend farmer's markets and Sprouts. I have heard Sam's Club is good too. Hope that helps!

Thank goodness it's the season for farmer's market haha. I usually go to Joe Randazzo's (JOE not 'regular') which cuts down the cost a lot, but I haven't tried budgeting everything out yet. Thanks for your input!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I agree that it can be done on a budget if you are careful. Try farmers markets, local CSA's, Costco or buy only the veggies on sale at the regular grocery store.

I would also suggest that you stick with produce that has the most juice to get the best bang for your buck. Items like cucumbers, melon, grapefruit, apples, and carrots are good choices.
  • saratague
    saratague Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping you get a few more recommendations - I am only having a juice for breakfast/lunch and with that and my two healthy "at work snacks", that comes to about $57/week just for me.

I haven't had a chance to go to the Farmers Markets, but from what I understand, they aren't THAT much cheaper - They just are fresher.

Best of luck and let me know if you get any good ideas! :)

Sara
  • penguinattackstudios
    penguinattackstudios Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping you get a few more recommendations - I am only having a juice for breakfast/lunch and with that and my two healthy "at work snacks", that comes to about $57/week just for me.

I haven't had a chance to go to the Farmers Markets, but from what I understand, they aren't THAT much cheaper - They just are fresher.

Best of luck and let me know if you get any good ideas! :)

Sara

Yipes! $57 for just breakfast and lunch/week? That's pretty steep. I think if I did this I would have to do some serious planning and penny pinching ^-^;
  • saratague
    saratague Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yep - That's a pretty accurate number, but and it doesn't even necessarily include organic food

The farmers market I went to had fresher food, but it was no different price wise than Whole Foods (which was not as expensive as I thought).

I'm not sure where you live, but keep in mind I live near Seattle, WA and things here are PRETTY expensive - Produce is about double here what it was in Michigan. We just moved in January so it's been a bit of an adjustment.

That estimate is a fairly accurate estimate but yes, it's only for breakfast, lunch, and two snacks - My snacks typically include a large helping of grapes and an ounce of veggie straws or low-cal chips (because I can't give up my processed food COMPLETELY - Besides, they are pretty cheap). :)

That said, FOR ME, it's worth it. I'm significantly overweight and in the long run, it's not THAT much more expensive because I'm taking the money we used to go out to eat with and applying it towards healthy groceries.

Yipes! $57 for just breakfast and lunch/week? That's pretty steep. I think if I did this I would have to do some serious planning and penny pinching ^-^;
  • missmindy6
    missmindy6 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am also on a tight budget as I get $200 in food stamps (SNAP) a month. However my brother, who's been doing the juice fast for about 6 weeks & has lost over 55 pounds, assured me that it costs him just under $200/mo the way he does it. He has tweaked the recipes (as their site suggests we personalize them) to use cheaper fruits & veggies. I have also found some "juicing on a budget" websites that suggest things like adding some mineral water (or in my case, plain water) to the juice to stretch it out a bit. I just started on Monday - well did the raw fruit/veg thing on Mon & Tue, but my juicer I ordered finally arrived today so today is my first day juicing. The groceries I bought I expect to last just under 2 weeks and I've spent $90 so far, so I'm right on budget so far. Good luck! :flowerforyou: