Going 100% Vegan

Options
stefa711
stefa711 Posts: 196 Member
For the past few months I've been eating about 99% vegan. Not so much living a vegan lifestyle but trying to eat vegan as much as possible.
Yesterday that changed for me. I'm very excited and slightly nervous to say that I have decided to live a full vegan lifestyle.

That being said, does anyone have any good recommendations for vegan deodorants, detergents, soaps, etc... ?

I have read that tide tests on animals and I'm not down with that... anyone use a good animal friendly detergent brand?

As far as make-up goes I know Urban decay has a lot of vegan products, but I don't really know of any other brands.

Thanks everyone :)

I also posted this in Happy Herbivores but was hoping for a wider base of answers :)*

Replies

• see_turtle
    see_turtle Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Like with with I just read the backs I check everything I buy before hand and it's pretty easy to look up which companies are OK for Vegans.....I find my local coop has a lot of cruelty free products. I have found cruelty free laundry detergent at Target.
  • see_turtle
    see_turtle Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Meant to say Congrats on your decision and good luck!
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    great vegan cosmetic brands:

arbonne ($$$$$$$)

hard candy (at walmart and target) ($$)

L.A. colors (at dollar tree and drug stores) ($)

vegan toiletries, soaps, etc:
    --hit trader joe's and whole foods, for their store brands of toiletries. also, DR bronners soaps, or make your own soaps

Shoes, belts, clothes:
    --thrift stores, payless shoe source (cheap shoes are often vegan, "all man made materials")
  • veganlisa
    veganlisa Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am currently using Gabriel Color & ZuZu Luxe for makeup, Nature's Gate for Shampoo/conditioner & Davita for skin products & all are vegan.
    I am in the process of switching out my shoes to vegan ones (I just need a nice navy pair). I found lots of "man made material shoes in name brands (surprisingly) at DSW and Macy's.
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Kiss My Face - toiletries
  • Rena42
    Rena42 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your decision. It's a big step!

Tom's makes good deodorant. The toothpaste isn't great, but I haven't found any that are vegan and are better. You can find them at whole foods. I've been thinking about using a mixture of coconut oil and baking soda to brush my teeth with. You can check out a recipe for it here: http://familysponge.com/health/coconut-oil/homemade-toothpaste-coconut-oil/
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your decision! Big step!

Personally, I love Tom's of Maine toothpaste. I can't do the traditional super foamy toothpastes - the foam gags me. Literally. Super sensitive gag reflex.

If you have a smart phone, there are several great cruelty free apps that are free. I've used them to find vegan products.
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Detergents is a tough one... I went to walmart to pick up some and all of the brands there tested on animals (Tide, Sunlight, Gain).
    I checked at my grocery store as well and they had an "eco-friendly" laundry detergent that had the not tested on animals symbol on it, so I got that. I haven't used it yet though. In future, I will probably just buy from the health food store where I get a lot of my other vegan items as they are bound to have more selection. This is true for shampoos and beauty products as well!

For face wash, lotions, etc. St. Ives clearly writes "NOT TESTED ON ANIMALS, NO ANIMAL PRODUCTS CONTAINED" on their products so look for those!

ETA: OH! also, body shop does not test on animals! but they are owned by a company who does (this is true with sunlight and gain mentioned above which still goes against my principles but it depends on whether you are concerned with the company or with the specific product). Also, not sure if LUSH is available in the states, but their soaps and cosmetics are all cruelty-free.
  • stefa711
    stefa711 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your input!
    Unfortunately I don't have a lot of health food store options because I am in southern Georgia which is NOT health food or vegan friendly!!

But I did find out that the Method brand sold at Target is vegan and not tested on animals so I stocked up on their detergent. hand soap, and cleaning items! They are great so far.