When Games Go Free to Play...

Options
MagJam2004
MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
MMOs that have both paying and non-paying players offer the chance to participate, even if you're on a tight budget. With that said, there is a hard truth to keep in mind...

2015012002.gif

Replies

• x_Minerva_x
    x_Minerva_x Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    lol, true.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I hate free to play games. I don't PVP but we end up paying more for all the content that we would with a monthly subscription...
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    This is very true Fran. Kind of like when you buy a game, all the DLC, and then the Ultimate Edition comes out a year later. Screw you Skyrim, and the dragon you rode in on. The only good part is that you can pick and choose if you would like. With DC Universe Online, it was nice to just buy the packs that I wanted to play and leave it at that. Now if Final Fantasy 14 would just lose that subscription fee, all would be right in the world.
  • E_Goldfish
    E_Goldfish Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    This is not that bad in Guild Wars 2. The pay items are for convenience mostly. I did drop a few bucks in for extra bank slots, tho.
  • x_Minerva_x
    x_Minerva_x Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Guild Wars 2 is more or less buy to play, which is different imo. Now, if Elder Scrolls Online would have done it that way, I would have been happier to hear the news.

However, the folks down at ZeniMax are electing to give a 10% bonus to exp for leveling, and crafting plus free cash shop creds to those who pay 15 a month. Personally, I think if it's buy to play there should not be a sub option at all.

I will reserve my pay to win accusations for when I see what exactly they will be offering in the cash shop (hopefully no items in which can't be found in the game otherwise unless it's mounts or other vanity type items.)