Zone training

Options
Kupe
Kupe Posts: 758 Member
I have recently started zone training and so far have found it quite interesting, I have found that I am not nearly as puffed once I have completed the ride and the riding is more consistent as there are no surges in pace.

At the moment I have slowed down slightly but long term according to what I have read I should pick up speed again. The only thing that I have found is the mental games in that you have to remind yourself to stay in the zone and not jump onto any and everybodies wheel as the go past.

If anyone has done it or is doing it, I would be keen to know your thoughts.

Replies

• ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Are you referring to heart rate zones? If so, what you are really talking about is base training. The idea is you put time in at endurance pace and you build aerobic fitness and efficiency. You should eventually notice that your average speed over a given course climbs relative to your average HR. And yes, discipline to ride your ride is key.

Also, once you build a solid base you will want to start adding tempo and lactic threshold efforts to build strength and speed. Base fitness is the foundation upon which you then build your high-end fitness.
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    I do zone training. It does take discipline to stay in one zone when you want to smash. I have found it easier to maintain the zones when on a trainer versus on the road.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    It does take discipline to stay in one zone when you want to smash. I have found it easier to maintain the zones when on a trainer versus on the road.

Absolutely. There aren't any "rabbits" to chase on the trainer. Well, until/unless you start using Zwift...

• kriles76
    kriles76 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    One feature of my Garmin Edge 500 is the ability to set alarms based on heart rate zones. It starts chirping away if I exceed a set maximum heart rate. Very useful for longer rides if you don't want to blow up and bonk too early. Agree with others, it's hard not to start pushing it with wind behind your back and wanting to floor it.
  • martinmcneely1
    martinmcneely1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    When I do zone training I try to do it on my turbo trainer, mostly TT intervals but also a lot of base training. Just watch a dvd and stay in my zone. The road is for racing and anything in between for me know.
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I live in a part of the world where you can ride pretty much all year round, bit hard to justify a trainer. @ Kriles, I had my edge set for that exact same thing, after 2 hours of listening to chirp everytime I rolled up a hill, I had to switch it off or throw the garmin. It was driving me nuts. :)
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Last several rides been trying to stay in zone. During indoors, piece of cake. Not hard to stay in. Also focused a lot on lifting the pedals vs just mashing em. Outdoors, holy crap! Was VERY hard to stay in zone. Hills, wind, running thru intersections all seem to go thru the roof on heart rate. All bets are off for me in intersections, I do have to say, cuz am gonna go as fast as I can. One thing I did notice on staying within the zone was I felt like I could pull pedals a whole lot easier & the pace was very doable.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yeah, there's way too many hills where I live to do zone training even if I stick to pavement. I have to do it inside. And there's no way I can currently stay under a certain zone for an entire ride especially on my MTB. I'd have to go so slow I'd fall over.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Opps, I meant to say I have to push hard or I'd fall over. Can't keep my HR low or I'd be going so slow I'd fall over. And yes, generally "speed is your friend", as long as it's a controlled speed of course.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Mtb is a whole 'nother ball game. I did get off-road by accident on my road bike & while managed no face-plant, have to say was holding my breath the whole way lol and it was just across a muddy field! Never again!
  • kriles76
    kriles76 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Kupe wrote: »
    I live in a part of the world where you can ride pretty much all year round, bit hard to justify a trainer. @ Kriles, I had my edge set for that exact same thing, after 2 hours of listening to chirp everytime I rolled up a hill, I had to switch it off or throw the garmin. It was driving me nuts. :)

Hey Kupe. I live in your part of the world - in the inner western 'burbs. We don't have many hills as its flat as a billiard table. The winds out here are our hills. I don't mind going above a heart rate I've set for a short effort so I can put up with the chirping provided I drop down again soon afterwards.

If I'm focusing on heart rate, I'll adjust it depending on the length of ride. Anything less than 90 minutes and I just go hell for leather because I'm not concerned about running out of fuel, so ~90% of Max HR for an hour is sustainable.

If I'm going any longer - particularly 3 to 4 hours rides, I try and keep to less than 80% of Max HR. But I need to fuel up before a ride, carry gels and energy bars and electrolyte sachets to keep the bonk at bay.

I really don't like putting in an effort less than 75% of Max HR. It feels like you're going so SLOW and wasting time. But at least this way you're burning a higher proportion of fat and you don't run out of glycogen so fast. I leave this sort of work for the trainer if I can.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Kupe wrote: »
    I have recently started zone training and so far have found it quite interesting, I have found that I am not nearly as puffed once I have completed the ride and the riding is more consistent as there are no surges in pace.

At the moment I have slowed down slightly but long term according to what I have read I should pick up speed again. The only thing that I have found is the mental games in that you have to remind yourself to stay in the zone and not jump onto any and everybodies wheel as the go past.

If anyone has done it or is doing it, I would be keen to know your thoughts.

Using a power meter is the best way to "stay in the zone". HR can jump all over the place with hills, obstacles, wind, etc.... But the power meter will keep you honest and have you shifting gears, varying your cadence to keep you in your required training zone for the workout.

Or if you want to keep it easy and go on perceived effort, here's a simple division of the zones...

1. Old lady pace
    2. Chatty pace
    3. Feel good hard
    4. Feel bad hard
    5. I am going to die
    6. Flat out