Other than running

Options
What do you do to train other than running? I currently aim to run 3-4 times a week, with one increasingly long run (10 miles to do on Sunday), but I don't do anything else, other than walking the dog.
I considered strength training or core work, but I am worried adding something would interfere with my running.
I work best with a structured plan, but I don't know if some kind of cross training would help.
Have you amazing people got any advice?

Replies

• FireStorm1972
    FireStorm1972 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Heres my routine. Mon-1hr bike & 1hr yoga, Tues 5k & weights, Wed 10k & 1 hour Yoga, 5k & weights , Fri- Yoga, Sat 21k. Sun 1hr bike & 1 hr Yoga. I sometimes trade the bike for a walk. I also work my legs very gently on my weight sessions and concentrate mostly upper body and core.My quads and hams already take a beating from the long runs 8)
  • GreatCthulhu
    GreatCthulhu Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks, that is really useful. Are you not supposed to have rest days, or is it just days where you don't run?
  • getfitrenee22
    Options
    i do a significant amt of core work on my days off (jillian michaels 6 pack abs in 6 wks)...if i still need some cardio, i will swim or do a short HIIT workout
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of value in something that helps the legs, in order to mitigate injury risk. Personally I cycle and do some bodyweight work, I sometimes use my rowing machine.

Yoga helps with flexibility but I'd recommend something that complements the leg strength.

For my rest days I still have a cycle commute, and my post long run day I have a gentle cycle ride for about 30km or so.
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I am still a newbie, but I horseback ride twice a week for cross training. Well, actually that is my first love, so maybe the running is my cross training. I also try to fit yoga in, but I am admittedly not consistent with it.
  • FireStorm1972
    Options
    My off days usually means a nice walk or easy bike ride. Im doing the Hal Higdons Novice 2 but modified with still being active on Mon and Fri.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I ride my bicycle every chance I get! If the weather is bad, stationary bike or elliptical at the gym. Rest days happen whenever I feel the need or if life gets in the way.
  • monbot
    monbot Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My schedule;
    Mon: Weights
    Tues: Quality Run (speed intervals or hills)
    Wed: Easy Run (5-10km)
    Thurs: Rest day (usually take the dogs on a slow walk)
    Fri: Easy Run (5-10km)
    Sat: Weights
    Sun: Long Run

I have a love/hate relationship with rest day. I spend all Thursday feeling a bit restless and anxious for my run the next day. But on the Friday, I wake up so rested and excited for the easy run.
  • GreatCthulhu
    GreatCthulhu Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have decided to join the local gym to start some strength classes including kettlebells and core. I will also do some speed work on the treadmill. I aim to start next week.
  • FireStorm1972
    Options
    Great job on the gym 8) strength and core will help 8)
  • FireStorm1972
    Options
    getting ready for my 10k run :D