MY FITNESS PAL - SOLD

Options
NikonPal
NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
"Under Armour Buys 2 Fitness Apps, Including MyFitnessPal, for $560 Million; MyFitnessPal, which lets users track their diet and workouts through a smartphone app, boasts more than 80 million registered users."

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2015/02/04/under-armour-buys-2-fitness-apps-including-myfitnesspal-for-560-million/?_r=0

http://mashable.com/2015/02/04/under-armour-buys-myfitnesspal/

Replies

• EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    Interesting articles :)

I was reading through the comments on the MFP announcement and I find it funny that people are jumping to hating this decision "oh this means MFP will become a paid site!"

1- MFP may start having paid additions (MFP PRO?) but I highly doubt it would completely turn into a paid site
    2- With this alliance MFP will be getting some money from UA meaning they can afford to make this site even better
    3- UA has amazing products so why would we be angry that MFP wants to team up with them?
  • krp97
    krp97 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I think it will be interesting. I hope it doesn't become a paid site but we will see. I didn't realize it was worth that much though!
  • matthewsfive
    matthewsfive Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    WOW, seems to be all that i can say, I agree i am not upset that MFP sold but i sure hope that we now don't have to pay to be able to access the site. That would not be a good thing.
  • danelutza19
    danelutza19 Posts: 2,025 Member
    Options
    I'm actually very happy for them!
    I love it when people who create good things (MFP creators) are rewarded for their effort!
    MFP will most likely remain the same.
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I would be extremely surprised if MFP became only paid. I can certainly see a paid option, but the potential/current revenue from advertising is a lot of what draws interest and adds value to sites like this. Though we don't like to see them, they do keep sites free - the cost of hosting and managing a site like this is significant!
  • balancedwalker
    balancedwalker Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    MFP is equivalent of FB for fitness. Looks like they will follow the same financial model.
  • krp97
    krp97 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    MFP is equivalent of FB for fitness. Looks like they will follow the same financial model.

I never quite thought about it like that. It is true.