MY FITNESS PAL - SOLD

Options
NikonPal
NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
"Under Armour Buys 2 Fitness Apps, Including MyFitnessPal, for $560 Million; MyFitnessPal, which lets users track their diet and workouts through a smartphone app, boasts more than 80 million registered users."

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2015/02/04/under-armour-buys-2-fitness-apps-including-myfitnesspal-for-560-million/?_r=0

http://mashable.com/2015/02/04/under-armour-buys-myfitnesspal/

Replies

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,084 Member
    Options
    I wonder what plans they have for MFP? There have been rumors for a long time that this would become a paid or subscription based app. Hummmm. Well---wait and see! Thanks for posting the links.
  • Blueharebell1
    Options
    Well, I guess that will be me gone. Shame. Anne
  • linder4866
    Options
    Well, I guess that will be me gone. Shame. Anne

Oh no Anne, no plans have been announced for the direction of MFP. Hang in there!!!

• Blueharebell1
    Options
    Hanging in.
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. But if this is worth this much being free it should remind that away. Advertising is the main draw. I think.
    marie
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Oh, Oh I hope its not too expensive if they do charge.

Shirley
  • Blueharebell1
    Options
    SHIRLEY, that's what I meant about me being gone. I simply wouldn't be able to afford it.
    ANNE.
  • Shirley61
    Options
    Anne - I know what you mean, it would awful to lose our friends here over the years that we have made. Also the support and motivation that is needed to keep going on this journey. I paid for Lumosity. com for one year and this year I didn't bother. I guess we wait and see what happens.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    CALIECAT wrote: »
    I was wondering the same thing. But if this is worth this much being free it should remind that away. Advertising is the main draw. I think.
    marie

I think you may be right Marie. Look at Facebook -- I can tell you the majority of the people I know would drop it like a hot potato if they had to pay. Under Armour certainly will be able to develop similar revenue paths with 80 million users... :)
  • linder4866
    Options
    I've heard discontent here over the years with users saying they would pay a monthly fee in order to get an ad-free experience. Kind of like many apps these days.........
  • CALIECAT
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You know the advertising do not bother me. one bit. Just think this We get Free Tv Well after we paid for cable or what have you. Advertising is big business I kind of like their commercial.. I don't think we have a thing in this world to worry about. The NFL if they started charging us to watch the games They would lose more money than they could possible make by charging us. just saying
    marie
  • Shirley61
    Options
    According to the interview with Mike Lee and his brother things will not change. We will see if this happens. I hope we can stay as free as possible.

Shirley
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Map My Fitness is also owned by Under Armor. There is both a free and a paid version. For my purposes, the free version does everything I need. I love using it as it calculates the calories I burn doing a wide variety of workouts (from walking the dog to lifting weights to cycling), and automatically syncs with My Fitness Pal so I don't have to use two different exercise trackers. My only complaint is that it logs the more out of the ordinary exercises as "gymnastics." Even Gardening, digging and weeding, gets logged as gymnastics. Makes me laugh every time I see it.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    That sums it up lets enjoy what we have and I do enjoy chatting with you folks

marie