Submit best porridge recipe

Options
Looking at your food diaries has indicated that a large percentage of the group start their morning with a bowl of porridge, using a whole range of additives. Which one is the favourite recipe and which is the healthiest. Please post your recipes, and once we have them all in they will be subject to a vote for 1. Best tasting and 2. Healthiest.

Being in Scotland I will start you off with the traditional Scottish recipe:

Add 4 heaped tablespoons of rolled oats to a cup of water, in a microwaveable bowl.

Add salt to taste.

Heat in microwave for 4 minutes.

Let stand for 2 minutes, and enjoy.

Replies

• sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    oh no salt please!

30g porridge oats , half a mug of water, one tablespoon defrosted economy fruit from Sainsburys.
    Microwave for 2 mins stir then another 1-2 minutes to check consistency.

Serve with half a sliced banana, a few berries, dessert spoon Holland and Barratt Omega seedmix and another of dried fruity mix

Ring changes with sliced apply, pear or whatever you fancy
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    There are no end to the variations, but currently my favourite is:

Porridge oats
    Salt
    Water
    Cocoa powder (lots! Just the plain cocoa powder, not hot chocolate powder)
    Chopped walnuts

Mix, microwave and eat. A tiny bit of peanut butter is nice with it, or you could add milk. Or syrup/honey/brown sugar if you like it sweet.

Or replace the cocoa powder with raisins and mixed spice.

But all sorts of combinations of nuts, seeds, chocolate chips, peanut butter, syrup, jam, fruit, etc. are nice.

At the moment I'm eating:

0% fat greek yoghurt
    porridge oats
    blueberries
    chopped walnuts (I do love my walnuts)

Mix and eat. Not porridge obviously.
  • alysme
    alysme Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Ooh...
    50g porridge
    250ml soya milk
    A dollop of Greek yogurt
    Sprinkle of cinnamon
    Leave to soak over night.... Eat the follow morning with a banana chopped into it.

My breakfast when I get to work :)
  • Golfcat75
    Golfcat75 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Can't help with the recipes myself as I just heat the sachets in the microwave, but am reading these with interest as I would like some ideas on how to make my own (have microwave at work)
    Thanks for your recipes! Will have to try some
  • jamessteelapim
    jamessteelapim Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Do we have our first convert?
  • sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    oh no salt please!

30g porridge oats , half a mug of water, one tablespoon defrosted economy fruit from Sainsburys.
    Microwave for 2 mins stir then another 1-2 minutes to check consistency.

Serve with half a sliced banana, a few berries, dessert spoon Holland and Barratt Omega seedmix and another of dried fruity mix

Ring changes with sliced apply, pear or whatever you fancy
    Forgot to say I put some almond milk on it before serving to get some calcium. sometimes dollop of greek yogurt too

The sachets are full of sugar etc and not a patch on home made for nutrition IMHO
  • jenwardy
    jenwardy Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    40g Irish oats, 125ml milk, 125ml water, cooked overnight in rice cooker. Add 1tsp peanut butter and 1tbsp apple sauce - yuuuuummmmy.
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    Sweet tooth here so mine's made with half a cup of oats to a cup of soya milk/water then usually add a teaspoon of molasses sugar; in warmer weather I switch to 'overnight oatmeal' with a few raisins or sultanas.
  • jamessteelapim
    Options
    As a Type 2 diabetic, it should be a no,no. But will see if I have enough credits in my calorie burn account and a deficit in my sugar account to have a "treat".
  • ChezDawn
    ChezDawn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Porridge cooked with water on the stove top...then mixed with honey, semi-skimmed milk and cinnamon
  • jamessteelapim
    Options
    Cor blimey, another night owl.
  • joblmayes
    joblmayes Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm normally an oats, water and semi skimmed milk with a sprinkling of mixed spice or all bran kind of gal, but I'm loving the sound of peanut butter, and will try that later this morning!
  • jamessteelapim
    Options
    Am a recent convert to peanut butter, as a calorie booster. It is really moreish and I am worried about becoming an addicted user.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I make mine with the bowl on my digital scales for consistency - which also means it won't erupt when cooking! This is a big serving by the way. The evaporated milk makes the difference for flavour.

80g of Sainsbury's So Organic Scottish Oats.
    Teaspoon of sugar
    Third of a small tin of evaporated milk (about 56g)
    Make up to otal of 330g with skimmed milk (about 190g)

Microwave for 3:30 mins.

468 cals. 19g of protein. 9g of fibre.
  • jamessteelapim
    Options
    That is a lot of protein for a bowl of porridge, but it is nearly double the normal oats. How about the sugar levels, as I am a Type 2 diabetic?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    That is a lot of protein for a bowl of porridge, but it is nearly double the normal oats. How about the sugar levels, as I am a Type 2 diabetic?
    Yep - I'm a greedy bugger who is at goal weight and it's a big serving!

I don't track sugar but it's 67g of carbs. (Food diary is open and I had porridge today.)
  • jamessteelapim
    Options
    I will have a look. I am not a calorie counter, but a sugar counter. I am close to reaching my goal weight range of 70-74 kg. I do a lot of cardio. My diaries are all fully open.
  • much_ado
    Options
    I do just oats and skimmed milk in the microwave. Occasionally I will throw some cinnamon in.

I used to do the quaker oats sachets with fruits in until I did a 30 day no added sugar challenge. It took a while to get used to plain porridge. I tried chopping in banana, apple etc to sweeten it but it just wasn't right. Now I find that it tastes pretty sweet with just the milk.
  • jamessteelapim
    Options
    I use almond milk, and plain porridge with plenty of cinnamon. It takes a bit of time to appreciate the taste and now I use no other additives. I was a banana for breakfast type of guy.
  • paba40
    paba40 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I really like the apple pie oatmeal slow cooker. So nice to wake up to hot breakfast.
    http://www.thehealthymaven.com/2014/09/slow-cooker-apple-pie-steel-cut-oatmeal.html