Compression Sleeves & Calf Soreness

Options
I've been trying to google this with little success.

On my Wednesday morning jog (really short, only 2 miles). I wore a compression sleeve on one leg and wrapped the other in an ace bandage (couldn't find the other sleeve) to try to combat what feels like the beginning of shin splints (combination of old shoes and increasing mileage. Remedied the shoe issue... working on the mileage).

I haven't worn sleeves since before I was injured and had to stop running for almost a year, and I'm in the process of building my mileage back up-post injury. My issue is... MY CALVES ARE SO SORE. They tightened up the second I started jogging with my legs wrapped and... it was a difficult jog. Today they're STILL sore. I don't remember this happening when I wore compressions sleeves pre-injury.

My question is: is this perhaps good or bad? Did the wrap/sleeve help engage a weakened calf muscle, or is it indicative that I Did Something Wrong?

Good news is the wrap/compression helped the soreness on the front of my legs, now I just have these achey calves! Thanks for any feedback!

Replies

• vcphil
    vcphil Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Have you ran post injury without sleeves? Maybe you are just sore? Maybe they are too tight. I've ran multiple marathons & lots of races & long runs WITH and without. It's not normal to have calf cramps/calf pay for me.

I mainly wear them during recovery at this point. I don't race in them anymore. Not sure why, just don't use them anymore for races
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I wear CEP sleeves on long runs and CEP recovery socks on any run 8 miles or longer. They will help by keeping blood from pooling in the lower legs and reduce some soreness and aid in recovery. The best relief from calf soreness on the back side is to foam roll 2-3 times a days and to stretch using a 45 degree block. It will hurt like hell rolling this out but eventually it will help. My trainer is a little sadistic and tells me if it hurts while I'm foam rolling I'm doing it right.

If you are feeling this immediately into a run that not good however. If my calfs are sore before a run I'll foam roll before and after. Typically after a little warm up (stationary bike & Dynamic Stretching) and a slow jog to get things moving they will loosen up and I can get on with my workout.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Research shows no benefit to compression sleeves/socks during exercise. Research show there is possibly some benefit post exercise.
  • nerfherder83
    nerfherder83 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    thanks for the input, guys. I'll play around with when I use them (during vs post) and definitely break out the foam roller.