SLOW progress on squats

Options
lilawolf
lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
Good morning ladies! I have been progressing nicely on all of my lifts except squats, and I don't know why. I've watched tons of videos and had my husband check my form against them, read tips, etc and still no luck. I am pretty confident in my form, both because my hubby can watch from all sides, and also because the soreness is spread pretty evenly around the front and rear of my upper legs and my butt. My knees and back do not hurt at all. When I get fatigued, one or both knees try to come in or I end up leaning too far forward. Learning to tense my core, and pushing my knees out during the lift helped but not much.

Stats
Height: 5'9
Weight: 150lbs
Calories: 1700-2200 averaging 1900ish or ~250cals under maintenance with the occasional week at maintenance
Macros: 30p/32c/38f ish (never under 110g of protein in a day = lbm and usually higher)

Weights: these are all weights that I have managed to hit 5x5. Attempting even higher prs over the next couple days.
Squat: 85 (I failed at 95 twice, then succeeded at 85)
Bench: 85
Row: 80
OHP: 60
Deadlift: 145

The fact that I can bench the same amount that I can squat is so backwards, particularly for a female. Anyone else have this happen to them? Someone advised me to try front squats instead, but Mehdi (SL guy) says that it works different muscles and is not a satisfactory substitution. Help!

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Can you post a video somewhere? Or put a private key on it and PM a few people the key to watch?

But, here are some ideas - fiddle with your stance and bar placement a little. Videos are great but don't feel like you have to exactly copy the people you see -- don't be afraid to turn your feet out a tiny bit more, or move your feet further apart, or closer together, or put the bar slightly lower or slightly higher.

My other big guess would be - you still don't know how to engage hip drive very well and you're missing out on the strength of your hips. Box squats are great for teaching this.
  • IamOnMywayNow
    IamOnMywayNow Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat.........:(
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I posted a video on the hip hinge awhile back.....that might also help if it's your hip drive that is causing some problems. I agree with what Tameko said about your stance as well.

Have you tried progressing at smaller weight increases? So use your fractionals to go up by 1 or 2lbs instead of 5?
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way! I've been adding weight to my squats weekly which has seemed to help me keep good form and make sure I'm not going to heavy too fast. I've also started doing good mornings (keeping the weight the same as my squat) to work on my hamstrings and glutes because they were significantly weaker than my quads which made me lean forward at the bottom of the squat. I've noticed a difference in my hip drive since adding that in. Good luck! I'm at 65 for squat and bench right now :tongue:
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Here's something you should consider when evaluating your squat performance. You are tall, and taller people are at a mechanical disadvantage just because they have to move the weight a longer distance. So do not consider your squat subpar just because a 5'4" woman can squat more than you.

Are you proportioned like a tall woman? That usually means longer legs and arms and a shorter torso. I am exactly the same size as you (5'9", weight 148 lb) and I have a relatively long torso and shortish thigh bones, and my squat (max working weight is 145) is not that amazing compared to my bench (105 lb for reps, sets across).

Finally, slow progress is better than no progress. I would rather stay at the same working weight for a few weeks than get injured and not be able to lift at all for months.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I do have very long legs and shorter torso. My husband is the same height, but with much shorter legs. I'm sure that is part of the problem. And just for some giggles, he actually squatted ME last night lol. Literally!

Looks like hip drive was the issue, or at least most of it. I watched http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yha2XAc2qu8 and it helped a lot. I wasn't able to load on a ton more weight, but I felt more comfortable at 85lbs than I did last time. If you are interested, here is all of the advice that I got off the main forum (complete with pissing contest and some not-so-great advice, so read it with a grain of salt):
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1007848-stronglifts-squat-not-progressing-please-help
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Ah, yeah--long legs don't help any when it comes to squats... inefficient dimensions for the levers. So you can't even compare your performance to someone who's exactly your weight and height, because people still differ in build and the amount of muscle mass/body fat percentage.

Anyway, good to hear you got some good advice and felt a difference!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I do have very long legs and shorter torso. My husband is the same height, but with much shorter legs. I'm sure that is part of the problem. And just for some giggles, he actually squatted ME last night lol. Literally!

Looks like hip drive was the issue, or at least most of it. I watched http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yha2XAc2qu8 and it helped a lot. I wasn't able to load on a ton more weight, but I felt more comfortable at 85lbs than I did last time. If you are interested, here is all of the advice that I got off the main forum (complete with pissing contest and some not-so-great advice, so read it with a grain of salt):
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1007848-stronglifts-squat-not-progressing-please-help

that thread turned into an absolute madhouse. But, glad you identified hip drive as the issue. Its frankly the most common issue.

Disadvantageous biomechanics matter a little but not at the levels that you were describing.