#19 Asian Edamame Fried Rice

Options
J3nnyV
J3nnyV Posts: 114 Member
Hi ladies!

I was slow to post this - must have been busy making so many batches of muffins! Looks yummy and I'm def going to try it. Maybe tonight?!?

Asian Edamame Fried Rice
http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/04/asian-edamame-fried-rice.htmlJune 3, 2013
Make a healthier version of your favorite take-out! I'm a sucker for Chinese fried rice, but who knows how much oil is added when you order it out. Making it yourself is healthier and easy to do.
For this healthy version of fried rice I used brown rice, edamame, carrots, scallions and onions. The beauty about making it yourself is you can add anything you want. If you want to make this a main dish you can add a protein such as chicken, shrimp or even tofu to keep it vegetarian. Or serve this as a side dish with some favorites like Asian Turkey Meatballs, Asian Drumsticks, Asian Grilled Chicken.

Edamame, in case you're not familiar with them are green soybean sold shelled or in the pod in most supermarkets both frozen or ready-to-eat – my two year is crazy about them! I like to buy the shelled ready-to-eat for convenience.

Edamame Fried Rice
Skinnytaste.com
Servings: 6 • Size: just under 1 cup • Old Points: 4 pt • Points+: 5 pt
Calories: 202 • Fat: 5.8 g • Protein: 8.6 g • Carb: 28.5 g • Fiber: 4.3 g • Sugar: 1.1 g
Sodium: 244.1 mg (without salt)

Ingredients:

3 cups leftover cooked brown rice
2 egg whites, scrambled
1 whole egg, scrambled
1 tbsp Smart Balance oil
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, diced
5 scallions, chopped, whites and greens separated
1/2 cup shredded carrots
cooking spray
1 cup ready-to-eat shelled edamame
2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce, tamari for gluten free (or more to taste)
salt and fresh pepper to taste

Directions:
Whisk eggs and egg whites, season with salt and pepper. In a hot wok, spray a little oil and cook the eggs. When cooked, remove from pan and set aside.
Let the wok get really hot. Add oil and cook onions, scallion whites, carrots and garlic for about 30-60 seconds, careful not to burn. Add brown rice and stir well a few minutes to heat through. Add cooked egg along with soy sauce, scallion greens and edamame, mixing well for about 3-4 minutes.

Replies

• Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Totally looking forward to this!
  • J3nnyV
    J3nnyV Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    This is a total winner!!!

We loved it! My husband was excited to try it after walking in the door from work and smelling it cooking. He immediately said I needed to make it again and was excited for leftovers.

Asian Edamame Fried Rice FTW!.
  • H0llyG0lightly
    H0llyG0lightly Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Made this tonight, or rather my bf did. It was good, especially with the edamame, which I'd never used at home before. I made the Asian Drumsticks she suggested to go with the rice, except with thighs instead. That was really good as well.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    We liked this. I cheated and bought those packages of rice that you cook in the microwave to save time. I also used my cheese grater to shred a carrot because i didnt want to spend money on a bag of shredded carrots.I liked that this came together quickly.

I made the Asian Grilled Chicken that she suggested and all in all it was a good meal. I like the amount of protein the chicken added to the rice, and it was easy to BBQ because I just had it sitting in the fridge in its marinade.

Yum!