Anybody want to join in a challenge to get healthy and lose fat?

Options
I've been working at this a while and I have done so much research and tried so many different programs, Insanity, IIFYM, Intermittent Fasting, you name it! Now I'm on the 21 day fix. I've also started listening to pod casts and doing a lot of independent web research on how we age, hormones, etc. What is so frustrating is that one day you listen to a pod cast and it says how you need to do this, this and this and it makes sense. Then the next day you listen to one and it says the complete opposite and it makes sense!

So I have came to the conclusion that I am going to take all my knowledge and do a little experiment and see if I can make some head way on not just losing weight, but losing fat and looking smaller and more tight, and of course feeling healthier.

One of the things I notice is that when I eat - after I feel yuck and bloated and my heart rate seems to go up. Some research I've done may indicate that I am having an intolerance reaction to what I'm eating. I have never gone gluten free and jumped on that wagon. Also I'm constantly fighting being tired and congested. So maybe it is a food intolerance. So maybe its worth a try to at least eliminate certain things and then bring them back in slowly and see what happens.

I'd like to eat healthy, as organic and natural as I can. Staying on the higher protein and lower carb side. I thought it might be fund to have a small group to do this with. Maybe we could create a FB Secret group to keep in touch daily, do some fitness goals, keep track of our eating habits and etc.

Would any of you be interested in doing this?

Replies

• jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    And just to clarify - I am not a coach of any kind. So many times when I first started getting actively involved in MFP I would join a group or a challenge and it would turn out to be nothing but a BB Coach trying to promote their business. It was so disappointing. I am just truly looking for some friends to help for accountability and motivation. I am actually looking a plan called the Metabolic Effect Diet which seems to have a lot of good information for us women who are not in our 20's or 30's and experiencing different reactions to what we put in our bodies. I'm looking to do an overall healthy way of eating and incorporate good old cardio and weight training. If you want to do BB dvd's then great - I love a lot of their workouts. But I mainly enjoy outside walking/jogging/interval running and hitting the gym and doing a good 20 min. of heavy lifting.
  • slralbert2015
    slralbert2015 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Haven't done one of those here. How would it work?
  • jchrisman717
    Options
    Hi! Well I was thinking that we could set up a secret group on FB to keep in touch. I have not liked this new format they have for the forums and groups that they upgraded to. I find it difficult to use so that's why I thought Facebook would help keep us in better contact. Here's the - I guess you could say plan I'd like to think about modeling after. Take a look at it and let me know what you think. Maybe come up with some sample meal plans and ideas to help each other stay on track.
    -
    http://www.metaboliceffect.com/menopause-weight-loss/

I this part is very interesting - the 4S Model:

I developed a simple formula to help you with the changes. I call it the 4S model:
    4S Nutrition
    S= Shake= Start the day with a protein shake
    S= Salad= Always have a huge salad with protein on top
    S= Snack= Include one protein and veggie based snack a day (i.e. celery, cucumbers and salmon)
    S= Starch= Include a healthy portion of starch at one meal only. Best after a workout, or at night (since it helps with sleep and many menopausal women have difficulty sleeping)
    4S Exercise
    S= Stress reducing. This means focusing on rest & recovery exercises. At least 3 per week, but more is better (slow walking, massage, meditation, yoga, tai chi, physical affection, etc.)
    S= Strides. Slow walking. 10,000steps (about 2 hours) on all or most days. Notice this shows up twice? It is critical!!
    S= Strength. Weight training over cardio to keep the body tight. 2 times per week.
    S= Sprints. Intense activity that gets the body breathless and burning. Like interval training, metabolic workouts, and short intense runs. 1-2 times per week

Let me know your thoughts.
  • slralbert2015
    Options
    i think this makes great sense. Its what I'm trying to get at. Learned a lot about hormones and the effect of cortisol a few years ago - I was so off balance, anxious, irritated most of the time. I have added using progesterone cream ( i know, controversial for some folks, but really has helped me.) Have such trouble with the carbs!
  • jchrisman717
    Options
    Great - do you have a Facebook page? I'm currently also posting the info on the Menopausal group (I saw you joined that group too) so you may want to leave a comment on that thread also so I can keep you informed.
  • slralbert2015
    Options
    I do! search same user name: slralbert2015
  • jchrisman717
    Options
    Great! I will let you know if that's what we decide to do is open a FB group or do a group here on MFP. I would say it would depend on what the majority want to do.
  • slralbert2015
    Options
    sounds good, thx!
  • jchrisman717
    Options
    Hi all! I am back from my weekend and now I have nothing going on until the end of March so I'm going to get this group up and running.

I did however have a little mishap on Thursday - slipped on some ice and really messed up my pinky finger and my knee so I have some mending to do. Even better time to get the nutrition part down!

We can do both a FB page and a group here if you all like. You all just let me know what you want.

If your on FB, find me and send me a friend request. My name is Jawona Carpenter and my email is jogrl717@sbcglobal.net.

Have any of you got the book yet?

Also, send me a friend request here if you haven't done that yet. So looking forward to getting back I shape with some one on one help from you all.
  • slralbert2015
    Options
    ouch! hope you're feeling better soon!
  • jchrisman717
    Options
    If you are interested in joining the FB Group - I think this link will work - if not let me know. I did make it secret so you might have to add me as a friend and then I can add you. You can feel free to unfriend me after that - I understand some people are more private. If you have already friended me and I haven't added you to the group - send me a message on FB so I can add you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1564053747180706/
  • shelby33ky
    shelby33ky Posts: 8 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I want to join! I tried the link and it did not work. My FB ID is shelbyjgood@gmail.com
  • jchrisman717
    Options
    I sent you a FR. After you accept I'll add you to the group.
  • laurie2829
    laurie2829 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Is it too late to join??
  • Blessed1221
    Blessed1221 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Can it be any kind of protein shake?
  • jchrisman717
    Options
    Gosh ladies, I am so sorry if I dropped the ball on getting you added to the FB page. If your still interested in joining us on FB, please send me a Private message here on MFP and I'll get you added. We are having a great time sharing and keeping each other motivated. Blessed, you want to do as clean of a protein powder as you can. I buy Jay Robb Whey.